Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,312   Online: 947

Shooter
    Large Format

FP4 Processing for Pd/Pt/Alt

Have any of you developed FP4 sheet film in HC110(b) for alternative contact printing (1.8 - 2.0 average density negs)?

What was your developing time? Any other special considerations I should be aware of?

Your comments and help are appreciated!

Nate Gibbons

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    For FP4 I've been using Ilford Universal PQ developer in a Jobo drum on a motor base, for both pt/pd and for carbon printing. I have been using it 40:960 to 60:940 at 62 to 68F for 4 to 10 minutes -- depending on the contrast range of the scene and the process I am aiming for. For Carbon printing I am aiming for highlights just shy of blocking up.

Just about at the end of my supply. Sorry, no idea what my density range is, but I usually print without any contrast agent for pt/pd. And if I have pushed things too far and the neg is too contrasty for pt/pd, then I know it will make a great neg for carbon printing.

I've used HC-110b with TMax100 with good results also -- pushing the development times towards 20+ minutes (constant agitation, 68F) to get very high contrast negs for Carbon Printing...negs won't print with pt/pd, but might with the self-masking of Zias.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've not done any pt/pd negs in HC-110 either. I've strictly used Pyrocat HD and a little PMK Pyro for it. I know it CAN be done, but I think most folks have found they get the best results with a staining developer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am kind of familiar to FP4+, I use it alot in the darkroom and sometimes in the camera. But I usually use TMAX RS developer.

My gut would tell you to expose the film at like 80 ISO (but that is relative to my technique & taste). I would process it for like 15 min in my jobo at 24 degrees...

While this is vague advice this will build you a negative that is quite dense. I would of course do my own testing and perhaps use this as a starting place :-)

But that might not be much help .

Corey

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

hc100

OK so not exactly your question but I have done acros with hc110. these were somewhere in the vicinity of 7-8 minutes at 72 degrees. for fp4 try around 10 minutes but keep the temp on the high side. it won't take you very long to figure it out. go and expose 4 negatives and do them in a tray for 2 minute intervals. you'll nail soon enough...
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Nate,
    I would strongly urge you to consider using Pyrocat HD if you want to make platinum prints from FP4 Plus negatives. You will have sharper, finer grain negatives that print with shorter exposures using this staining developer. PM me and I will refer you to some info about this developer that will get you started.
    Gary

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin