Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,522   Online: 1040

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd be surprised if you can't get formaldehyde in the form of formalin for aquarium fish treatment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I checked that out and it seems difficult to find it undiluted. Formalin is sold, but only in a mixture with "malachite". I don't know if that is the mineral, or what, but I don't want it in my gum. It's green! :-)
    Be careful his bow tie is really a camera
    timeUnit

Shooter
    Large Format

Gum Arabic Preservation

A drop of Phenol or Carbolic Acid per 100 ml of solution will work (if you can get it in Sweden)

NWG

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ah. it appears you can get formalin without the malachite green (which you're correct, it's a copper mineral) in the UK without any troubles... seems to be more commonly a koi carp treatment, the stuff mixed with malachite is what I have for my aquarium tank fish.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    I just put it in the fridge--non toxic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bsilverman View Post
    I just put it in the fridge--non toxic
    I'm not sure what you are referring to here, but most everything mentioned in this thread is toxic in some way or another. That is why they are gradually being banned.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I'm not sure what you are referring to here, but most everything mentioned in this thread is toxic in some way or another. That is why they are gradually being banned.

PE
    I think what he meant is that gum arabic without anything in it besides water, put in a fridge, keeps fairly well without the toxic stuff
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never ever put any chemical in a food refrigerator regardless of toxicity. I guess it comes from being trained that way. I have a dedicated fridge.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    i´m not sure whether formaldehyde is a good idea.. as far as i know, it is used to harden gelatine, and i,m pretty sure that it as the same effect on gum arabic, so it doesn´t seem very good to me. i have heard about people putting pills against head aches in paste used for paper maché.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Glyoxal is a substitute for formalin and should work well.
    The aspirin idea sounds good to me. To eliminate undissolved particles dissolve the aspirin in a minute amount of water and filter that prior to adding to gum.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin