Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,161   Online: 897

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I made my first UV lightbox!!

Hurray!
    My folks came to visit and it was a great time to have the kid's watched and my dad and I do some projects around the house. Here's some pictures. I used this guide to make it:

http://shutterbug.com/techniques/lighting/0900sb_howto/

I used 8 18" undercabinet lights, some 1x3's and 1x8.

I've done some cyanotypes and Van Dykes before with 4x5's and a basic UV lightbox someone gave me. But now, I'll be able to use some 8x10's!

Just ordered F15T8/BL bulbs from topbulb for it. These are regular lights just to see if it works
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lightbox1.jpg   lightbox2.jpg   lightbox3.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks great Eric. Now I know how to make one and can get to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format

I LIKE IT

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Hurray!
    My folks came to visit and it was a great time to have the kid's watched and my dad and I do some projects around the house. Here's some pictures. I used this guide to make it:

http://shutterbug.com/techniques/lighting/0900sb_howto/

I used 8 18" undercabinet lights, some 1x3's and 1x8.

I've done some cyanotypes and Van Dykes before with 4x5's and a basic UV lightbox someone gave me. But now, I'll be able to use some 8x10's!

Just ordered F15T8/BL bulbs from topbulb for it. These are regular lights just to see if it works
    nice and klean-may i suggest:

1. there will be enuf heat from the bulbs to affect the life and opperation of them-a few thoughtfully placed holes/slots should be sufficient for passive cooling if you are going to hang it to shine the lite down onto your materials

2. paint the inside with a gloss white and you get a considerable gain--add some heavy broiler foil that you crumple up first and then smooth out under the fixtures--you usually will need a ground plane anyway to get consistant lighting with those type of fixtures

3. if you are going to place your materials on top of the unit take a 1/2 " off of each corner of the glass/plastic/whatever surface so as to encourage cooling air flow--you may need a forced air flow however if you notice problems with bulb life-a cheap pc cooling fan wil do the job if you place your vent holes properly

4. some alt process materials will work with cheap 'cool white' bulbs--why not try what you have and see? you might be surprized when you get the bl's that a comparison with cool whites may show them not to be worth the expense

congradulations and keep us posted on your work

vaya con dios

Shooter
    Large Format
    I am way impressed
    Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    well done Eric. Simply and functional, my kinda woodworking.
    I built mine in the backward method... I found some cheap BLB flourescents that were 48" so now I have an ENORMOUS light box that takes up entirely too much space.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice job Eric! And thanks for the link.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by z-man View Post
    nice and klean-may i suggest:

1. there will be enuf heat from the bulbs to affect the life and opperation of them-a few thoughtfully placed holes/slots should be sufficient for passive cooling if you are going to hang it to shine the lite down onto your materials
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.
    I just realized that it may get kinda hot. Perhaps a hole on one side and a hole on another side and stick a small hobby fan will work?

2. paint the inside with a gloss white and you get a considerable gain--add some heavy broiler foil that you crumple up first and then smooth out under
    Good idea! And the foil under the bulbs. Good thinking.

3. if you are going to place your materials on top of the unit take a 1/2 " off of each corner of the glass/plastic/whatever surface so as to encourage cooling air flow--you may need a forced air flow however if you notice
    I didn't think about just using it as it is. The plans I saw on the web had the lights going dowwards towards the floor. I built that skirt with 1x8's thinking it will be good so I don't get blinded by the light. But I guess I can just use it "upside down" the way it is with the contact frame on top. But then, I'll have to figure out how to put the frame on top without a piece of glass

4. some alt process materials will work with cheap 'cool white' bulbs--why not try what you have and see? you might be surprized when you get the bl's
    I'll have to do some research on that

Thanks again everyone! I was very daunted for a long time cause these things look so complicated to make. I didn't know much about ballasts and wiring and when I saw the plans for these under cabinet lights, I knew I just had to try it!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin