Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,175   Online: 1056

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

Need brown ferric ammonium citrate

Does anyone have a source for BROWN ferric ammonium citrate? I have plenty of green crystals, but see no reason the brown ones won't work as well and they should be less costly.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen it mentioned (and thus take it as unproven) that the brown crystals are less "light sensitive". So for applications like Cyanotypes they will work but not as well as the green ones. But for other formulas (bleaches?) I don't know.

That said, somebody like Fischer or Alpha or ScienceLab.com should have it.

http://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVA...FQlQWAodyB8PaA

But this seems only marginally cheaper than the green stuff...
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used both brown and green for cyanotype and van dyke prints with no discernible difference. I purchased the brown form from Sigma-Aldrich. They have various suppliers/purity levels to choose from. To find it on their web site, search for "ammonium iron III citrate".

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You might try Bostic and Sullivan - I think that the ferric ammonium citrate is of the brown variety. The link is:

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart...&cat=78&page=1

Hope this helps,
    Ron

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by rongui View Post
    You might try Bostic and Sullivan - I think that the ferric ammonium citrate is of the brown variety. The link is:

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart...&cat=78&page=1

Hope this helps,
    Ron
    B&S sells green FAC unless they have added brown for some reason.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I purchased brown FAC from B&S just recently. You have to ask for it specifically when you order the regular FAC. it is not actually listed in their price list. I believe I added that I wanted Brown FAC somewhere later in the order process.
    I've made up some Brown FAC VDB sensitizer and my initial tests were very disappointing. I was not getting nearly the same dmax as with the regular FAC printing the same neg under the same conditions. But I'll give it another go.
    Dana Sullivan at B&S has very good things to say about Brown FAC.

cheers
    david

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by davido View Post
    I purchased brown FAC from B&S just recently. You have to ask for it specifically when you order the regular FAC. it is not actually listed in their price list. I believe I added that I wanted Brown FAC somewhere later in the order process.
    I've made up some Brown FAC VDB sensitizer and my initial tests were very disappointing. I was not getting nearly the same dmax as with the regular FAC printing the same neg under the same conditions. But I'll give it another go.
    Dana Sullivan at B&S has very good things to say about Brown FAC.

cheers
    david
    Hmmm, that's interesting. Let us know how it goes.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the answers.
    Actually I heard about the use of brown from Kevin Sullivan but had not been able to find it. I will check out the referred sources.
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin