Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,959   Posts: 1,632,387   Online: 804

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Getting density without a densitometer?

I guess densitometers are out of my league in prices. Wow, didn't know they cost so much. Is there a different method? Can I use my spotmeter somehow?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Phil Davis published plans and methods for using 1 degree spotmeters as densitometers in his Beyond the Zone System books.

Lee

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Eric: check out Phil Davis' book, "Beyond the Zone System." He shows how to use a spotmeter as a densitometer.

By the way, the EL Nikkor 105 is working great for me.
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My densitometer cost about $50 Canadian. It's almost older then I am but so is most of my darkroom stuff -)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys! I just happened to borrow that book from the library a few weeks ago. Didn't like it much, it was a very old copy (70's I think). Just kinda flipped through it.
    I'll take it out again and look for the spotmeter. I didn't notice it then cause I guess I wasn't looking for it.
    FireP. -- glad the lens is working!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a .10, .30 and .60 ND set of filters, you can combine them in various ways and directly compare the density over a light box.

Just cut identical sized holes in a pair opaque cards and lay one over the NDs and one over the area you want to measure and compare.

It should get you in the ballpark...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can also use your scanner if you have one. Many scanner driver software packages have a densitometer function built in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    You can also use your scanner if you have one. Many scanner driver software packages have a densitometer function built in.
    hmmm, interesting. I'll look into that. I run GIMP on a Mac. I'll try googling some GIMP +densitometer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Or look in the help files with GIMP (assuming it has any). I'm running SilverFast AI which came with my scanner, and I can use a densitometer in the scanner driver before I do my final scan, and of course, I can also do it in photoshop.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I guess densitometers are out of my league in prices. Wow, didn't know they cost so much. Is there a different method? Can I use my spotmeter somehow?
    Dear Eric,

Why do you need a densitometer? What are you planning to do with it? Consider that densitometers were all but unknown in amateur use until recently, and completely unknown in the early days of photography. Can't you use the time-honoured method of just making pictures, instead? Do not look for more precision than is needed, or meaningful...

Not being combative, just wondering.

Cheers,

Roger
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin