Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,909   Posts: 1,584,656   Online: 834

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Germany, Mecklenburg - Western Pommerania
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    hmmm... does this Binh Dahn just lie the negative on the leave, waits a few days, and then gets a positive? Some years ago I had the idea of a process for printing on leaves including developing with a solution of potassium iodide
    plus iodine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Danh prints on living leaves by sandwiching the leaf and negative between glass plates. I think it takes weeks to get good contrast. But I think the leaf is kept alive during that period.

You can probably extract chlorophyll and carotene from leaves, coat paper with that, and then perhaps see an image after it has been left in the sun with a negative for a good, long while or exposed with a photoflood for a shorter time. I don't know offhand whether it would be robust and permanent though, probably you need to at least UV coat it to keep some contrast and I guess the whole thing would turn a monotonous brown quite rapidly. Well... let's see, dried autumn leaves can stay red for ages, so maybe the carotene is the thing to target for printing, rather than chlorophyll.

Maybe I will try this myself.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Keith - What you're describing is Anthotype. http://www.alternativephotography.co...anthotype.html
    http://www.alternativephotography.co...es/art098.html
    I've been quite surprised but my first anthotype I did many months ago is still nicely purple (purple Iris petal juices). I don't keep it out in the sun but it's not faded in normal light conditions yet.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ah, wonderful link there Heather, thanks very much! Viola Odorata here I come!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    I recollect doing an experiment with leaves when at school - a long, long time ago so I can't really remember the details.

We taped a negative to a leaf and left it in the sun - can't remember for how long, days, possibly. The chlorophyl couldn't react with sunlight under the dark areas, so no photosynthesis took place. In the parts that received light, photosynthesis produced sugar in the form of starch. The leaf was treated - I think iodine was involved - which turned the areas that had photosynthesised black/blue. The rest of the leaf was a pale yellow colour.

It must have been known about for a very long time before it was used to illustrate photosynthesis in schools.

Regards,
    Neil.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    For a different approach, check out: http://www.grand-illusions.com/roman.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Allen, not such a different approach but almost exactly how it was demonstrated to us in a school science lesson over 35 yrs ago! The only difference was the negative taped to the leaf and sunlight instead of a projector.

Regards,
    Neil.

Germany, Mecklenburg - Western Pommerania
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin