Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,224   Online: 821

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    The "aura" effect is halation, and will show up on any film without some kind of anti-halation layer, at ANY wavelength!
    Dear Ole,

True. I've generally seen halation clearest, though, with things that are highly IR-reflective against a dark background -- where, of course, the IR filter boosts contrast. I've seen this effect (which I sometimes call 'dripping with light', because that's what it looks like to me) more clearly with stronger filtration. An ordinary deep red doesn't seem to produce it as strongly.

And I fully second your comments about enlargement, though there is a sort of 'glow' with Maco Aura even at 5x7 (the only size I have). A lot of these very subtle photographic effects, including the half-tone effect, are visible at levels at which rational analysis might suggest we should not notice them.

Cheers,

Roger
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If I wanted halation / aura and didn't have access to films without the AH layer then I guess I would first see if I can wash off the halation layer, and then I'd also consider installing something very IR-reflective over the pressure plate in the camera. I think most pressure plates are designed not to reflect at all, but that is actually what you want for an aura effect, no? The reflection off that plate is what creates a localized aura, as opposed to wholesale fogging.

My understanding is that the reason why we naturally associate halation with IR and not visible wavelengths is that the film bases are generally IR transmissive, hence the need for AH coating. With some film bases it could be possible to get that back reflection off the plate with somewhat shorter wavelengths as well, i.e. with an ordinary pan film.
    Last edited by keithwms; 09-05-2007 at 01:09 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: sp
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    If I wanted halation / aura and didn't have access to films without the AH layer then I guess I would first see if I can wash off the halation layer, and then I'd also consider installing something very IR-reflective over the pressure plate in the camera. I think most pressure plates are designed not to reflect at all, but that is actually what you want for an aura effect, no? The reflection off that plate is what creates a localized aura, as opposed to wholesale fogging.
    OMG, do not give me ideas man! Now I'm thinking of painting the backplate of my filmholders silver or chrome!
    Jeffrey Engel
    Speed Graphic + Aero Ektar 178mm f2.5
    Kiev 60 + 80mm Volna
    Holga f5.6 mod

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You could try the usual "stupid mistake", and load the film along with the interleaf paper...

Just make sure the paper is behind the film!

I can't remember if the paper in these is black or white, but I do remember there are some films with white paper between the sheets.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was thinking of popping out a pressure plate and putting it in my gold sputtering system

If you send me your plate I'll coat it for [inserts pinky-finger into mouth] twenty dollars! No! Thirty dollars! Muahaha, I'm rich, rich!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    You could try the usual "stupid mistake", and load the film along with the interleaf paper...

Just make sure the paper is behind the film!

I can't remember if the paper in these is black or white, but I do remember there are some films with white paper between the sheets.
    Maco 820 Aura uses black paper and it's about as reflective as the back of the film holder already. But good idea! Heck, maybe I'll just find some shiny white paper and do it. Although I'd be more concerned with actual fogging as a result. The halo or "glow" is the desired affect, not increasing the overall fog, right?
    Jeffrey Engel
    Kiev 60 + 80mm Volna
    Holga f5.6 mod

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I was thinking of popping out a pressure plate and putting it in my gold sputtering system

If you send me your plate I'll coat it for [inserts pinky-finger into mouth] twenty dollars! No! Thirty dollars! Muahaha, I'm rich, rich!
    Well don't forget I don't actually have a "pressure plate" in a 4x5 film holder. But I would think anything a bit more reflective behind the sheet would do something.
    Jeffrey Engel
    Kiev 60 + 80mm Volna
    Holga f5.6 mod

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh if you are using 4x5 then that's easy, just put good old aluminum foil behind there, taking care to put it down smoothly.

Aluminum Reflectance:

Silver and gold foil would be even better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin