Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,632   Online: 677

Germany, Mecklenburg - Western Pommerania
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Calotype problems

A few Weeks ago I tryed the Talbotīs Calotype Process - and completely failed.
    I used paper for painting.
    Washing the paper in silver nitrate solution, then iodizing - everything was okay. But when I washed the paper with Talbotīs "Silver-gallo-nitrate"
    (I ve already used the recipe for toning prints), and the paper went totally black - all the silver chloride in the paper had been reduced.

recipes:
    Bath one
    silver nitrate 6,5g
    Water to make 200ml

bath two - iodizing
    potassium iodide 32,5g
    Water to make 600ml

Silvergallonitrate

Bath a
    silver nitrate 6,5g
    Water 60ml
    Acetic acid 60% 10ml

bath b

saturated solution [ acidum tannicum] - german "Tannin" - donīt know the english word for it-

I hope you can help me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if I can help or not, but-
    I see no listing of gallic acid in your process and this is a necessary ingredient in the calotype process. Is this the "tannin" in part b?

What kind of light levels were you working under? I use a red safelight, 15 watt at 4+ feet.

Was each step dried in total darkness?

Was the silver-gallo-nitrate the same actual solution in which you had toned prints, or fresh solution. If previously used, this may be the culprit.

I hope these questions help you to track down your problem.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Germany, Mecklenburg - Western Pommerania
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    the "Tannin", I found out, is simply tannic acid, and I used it as a substitution
    for the gallic acid.
    and I used red safelight...
    ...but is the drying in total darkness really nessesary for the Process?
    I used a device for dry pressing paper as a heat source, so the paper is dry after a few minutes.

Couldīnt it be the paper? Residual chemicals from the paper-bleaching process could be the causation for the undesired reaction.
    To get further I have to get to know more about the production process of paper...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I will admit up front that I have no hands on experience yet.

According to "Coming into Focus", the sensitized paper should be moist when exposed.

Prepare the paper with a 7.5% solution of silver nitrate and 5.6% solution of potassium iodide.

For sensitizing and developing, the book refers to 4 solutions:

A) 11.4% solution of silver nitrate
    B) 28.4ml A, add 5.5ml glacial acetic acid
    C) Using 100 ml water, make a saturaed solution of gallic acid
    D) Add 3 drops B and 3 drops C to 4ml water

To sensitize the paper (under safelight), coat the prepared paper with D and let sit for 2 minutes. Blot the paper and let dry in the dark. "The paper will be slightly moist when put into the camera."

To develop (under safelight), mix equal parts B and C and brush onto the negative. An image should appear at once. With a clean brush apply C - do not over-wet. Allow the image to develop until it stops increasing in density - apply more C.

When you have a good contrasty image, rinse in plain tap water, fix with hypo for 5 minutes, then rinse for an hour.

- Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Calotype Club on Flickr

For any calotype related questions, check out the 'Calotype Club' on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1384661@N22/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Do a search for Calotype here on APUG and you'll find some good info, for example this: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/3...-negatave.html. Without having tried it myself, it seems to need a very clean working and orderly person to get things going. Many of the older processes are also very dependent on the quality of the paper.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin