Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,297   Posts: 1,535,733   Online: 825

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Polaroid type 51 p/n for alternative processes?

So I'm trying to get Polaroid type 55 p/n to give me a decent neg for making a cyanotype, exposing it at EI 25 and then selenium toning it for 5 minutes in KRST 1+3 to boost contrast, which it did. But, the DR just isn't there for the exposure on Weston. I've also tried different dilutions of A+B and have been able to vary the contrast a bit.

Then I stumbled upon an APUG thread that mentioned type 51 p/n which I'd never heard of before. Apparently this is a high-contrast positive coupled with a medium-contrast negative, with the print speed much faster than type 55. But, from the looks of the H&D curves off the Polaroid site, the negatives look to be about the same with type 51 perhaps having a bit more base fog. I've overlapped the two H&D curves in the attachment.

Anyone ever use this stuff for alternative processes and is there any reason to use it in preference to type 55?

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails polaroid_51_55.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joe,
    It's the same negative. Don't bother with it. Or if you find it cheaper than 55...?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin