Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,559   Online: 921

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    The Formulary frames are without a doubt, some of the worst I've ever used. If I were the OP I would send them back for immediate credit.
    Well... if one is a long way away sending 'em back is no small matter. I have both 8x10 and 14 x11 sizes from Formulary and they seem fine to me.

Perhaps there is a case to made for the lack of central, rather than peripheral pressure for sizes larger than these?

Can you tell me what faults to look for?

The last I time pinched my finger was on my belt buckle but that was just me being dumb, the Formulary clips are pretty safe to operate.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post

Can you tell me what faults to look for?
    1) They don't hold the film and paper flat consistently as David pointed out.

2) The clips come off constantly after using the frames for a while.

3) The clips can and will pinch the shit out of your fingers.

All of this problems are widely know.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a couple of the frames. The 8X10 was an early model from PF and the back is too loose in the frame. The more recent 16X20 frame is very nice to work with; and I don't notice any problems with my 7X17 negs. I do need to get a replacement clip for the older frame - are they available?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never tried the PF frames but I bought one of the Freestyle contact frames and they work great. The one I bought was the 10X12 ($99) and they have a 14X17 too. They use the hinge split back and the standard spring clips.

The workmanship looks excellent.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Indeed, these frames are gorgeous and work very well! I've been using one for several years and it works great. My ONLY complaint is that the clips (on mine, at least) are a little tough to pop open, but that's not a deal-killer. While I prefer the rotating wood spring clip on the Zone VI carriers (and many older ones), this one is still well worth the money . . . .
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have one of the PF frames, and I also have a Bostick&Sullivan, and several antique frames in various sizes, to 14x17. All the other ones have the leaf-spring type closure. The snaps on the PF frame are so tight, and they make this horrible noise when opening and closing. I've been lucky enough not to get pinched, but every time I close one, I say a little prayer. I have seen, even on the 8x10 size, some softness in the center of the image from uneven pressure. It's not bad on the 8x10, and without a comparison, I wouldn't know that it wasn't just the nature of the pt/pd media, but I can tell a difference with the spring backs, having printed the same on both.

Images
    I have no issue with mine, except it warped after someone tried to burn down the school I work in and the sprinkler system flooded where I had it stored.

Aside from that it worked great, never got my finger caught, and held the neg plenty tight. I also have a spring back one that I bought off someone here-can't remember the guy who was making them. He was a sponsor at one point I think. Very pretty, no printing difference between the two. I checked, after reading people complaining.

Oh Yeah, it warped too. Actually warped worse the PF frame. Now I am frameless. No time to print anyway so it has not been a burden.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This is why they did start making bakelite frames. I have one but it's only big enough for one (well trimmed) 6x9cm negative. They loved touting that bakelite wouldn't warp like wood would. Dunno if anyone ever made big frames out of it, though, mine's a Johnson's of Hendon frame.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in the early days of 'plastic', bakelite was the first real example to be commonly available. It is made from phenol and formaldehyde and then mixed with carbon black. It makes an awful stench when burned.

In any event, it does warp and crack with age and is subject to doing this when heated. It was used as pot handles, and used to crack and warp a lot. I sure hope the current bakelite is better than what we used to get right after WWII.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just as a point of useless information.
    The springs used in the attachments look like the variety for holding storm windows & screens in storm doors. They're available at Ace hardware & others
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin