Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,868   Online: 962

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I got my contact print frames from Forumlary today!

Had to take the day off from work, my kids started school and usually I get sick the first or second week into it.
    So I'm just working away and UPS dropped off my contact frames from Formulary. It was backordered cause the guy who makes it had some equipment problems. But boy, these are really, really nice for the money. I can smell the new oil on the wood. In the back, there are clip springs (don't know what to call it). These are way better than the old ons I got from ebay that have those pressure clips that always cut into the wood.
    Can't wait to use it! Guess I'll be "working" on my negs in the bathroom today instead of real work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Had to take the day off from work, my kids started school and usually I get sick the first or second week into it.
    So I'm just working away and UPS dropped off my contact frames from Formulary. It was backordered cause the guy who makes it had some equipment problems. But boy, these are really, really nice for the money. I can smell the new oil on the wood. In the back, there are clip springs (don't know what to call it). These are way better than the old ons I got from ebay that have those pressure clips that always cut into the wood.
    Can't wait to use it! Guess I'll be "working" on my negs in the bathroom today instead of real work.
    Congrats on the frames! Perhaps a pic or two when the bug passes (ahem!)?

Isn't it wonderful how biologically "active" kids can be when in contact with each other?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Congrats on the frames! Perhaps a pic or two when the bug passes (ahem!)?

Isn't it wonderful how biologically "active" kids can be when in contact with each other?
    Pictures? Sure!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frame1.jpg   frame2.jpg   frame3.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting; never seen that type of clip on a frame. Let me know how they work, would you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard nothing but bad things about those frames (from people who actually used them). I've never used one myself though I opted for the Bostick and Sullivan frame (which is a two blade pressure model) because of the bad reviews. I would be very interested to hear what you like about them once you've made some prints. Best of luck. Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The complaints are about the tautness of those clips. They hold the back very very firmly in place and snap in and out with great vigor.

Some claim that it is hard to open and close them without catching a finger. I've personally used them and seen them made. They are sturdy and so what is a problem if you accidentally nip a finger with them? It costs a tiny pinch is all.

It is all in personal opinion. I really don't care one way or another. I have 2 frames here of another design, and have used the Formulary frames when teaching there or taking a course. All are satisfactory to me.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The complaints are about the tautness of those clips. They hold the back very very firmly in place and snap in and out with great vigor.

Some claim that it is hard to open and close them without catching a finger. I've personally used them and seen them made. They are sturdy and so what is a problem if you accidentally nip a finger with them? It costs a tiny pinch is all.

It is all in personal opinion. I really don't care one way or another. I have 2 frames here of another design, and have used the Formulary frames when teaching there or taking a course. All are satisfactory to me.

PE
    The Formulary frames are without a doubt, some of the worst I've ever used. If I were the OP I would send them back for immediate credit.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They do work well, and (knock on wood) I have never caught a finger in one, but the problem I have had with them and others as well is that the spring (clip) finds a way of working its way out of the frame. It can be put back in place but after a while it does get lose...so have to say I prefer to use the older spring style. Not knocking the design, just stating preference. However, the price is indeed nice and the 8x10 did what I ask of it. Have a nice one from Dan Pelland that I like also, but need to try one of the B&S just to give it a try....of course a vacuum easel would be better for Plt/Pld (IMHO or is that just because I want one )
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've tried those frames, and I prefer the traditional style with the leaf spring. They get more even pressure across the neg. The Formulary style doesn't always get enough pressure in the center, particularly with larger formats.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Interesting; never seen that type of clip on a frame. Let me know how they work, would you?
    Sorry I asked!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin