Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,412   Online: 758

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I LOVE learning from mistakes <alt printing>

He he, just wanted to share. I have ZERO knowledge about alt printing except that I want to do it. So I posted my pix of my dad, "my first kallitype". While doing it, I realized, "gee, this paper is about to fall apart, I wonder how alt printers do it?". I had in my possession, Crane's ecruwhite "resume" paper. You remember those? You type or print your resume on it and mail it out. Well, those are just about 2x as thick as regular bond. So I bought some Crane's white paper from formulary and when I got it I thought "hey! this is about as thick as 2 ply mat boards!" Duh! Ohhh, that's how it is done.

Then I went to my favorite art store and I asked:
    I need paper
    needs to be thick
    needs to be able to handle h20
    white base
    cotton
    ph neutral

I was led to 22x20 Arches paper. Very thick. I bought 140# weight over the 90# weight. I blew some Starbux money and bought 1 sheet. Don't know why, next time, I'll try the 90#

Ahhh, learning backwards, for me is the best way to learn something. I never learn if I do it right the first time.

Now for those darn negs. For some reason, I process them at 2x the usual amount but for some reason, they are PERFECT....for regular printing. Next time, I'll just open up 2 stops.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What's even more effective, and more fun, is to keep good notes so that one can learn from one's successes!

Don't open up a couple stops and then over-develop...you'll just get dense negs that take long to print. Try closing down a stop and giving more development. Or photograph scenes that have more contrast to start with!

But as long as one is having fun, go for it!

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    What's even more effective, and more fun, is to keep good notes so that one can learn from one's successes!
    I have a couple of leather bound notebooks. One I keep always in my backpocket. My analog "thinkpad". And I have a nice one to keep all my photo notes with diagrams, etc...

Rain stopped, I'm going to try exposing a sheet today and developing different (maybe hc110 today)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Watercolor and printmaking papers are made to be thoroughly soaked without falling apart. I like BFK Rives, 140lb for alt process printing myself.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin