Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,403   Online: 1063

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I don t recall many or any paintings in museums in frames under glass, some worth millions and millions and millions.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    An oil painting has a somewhat different surface than does a photograph. If you accidentally sneeze on an oil painting, your fluids aren't going to ruin the paint or the substrate. The same can't be said of a photograph.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A few years ago I went to the Cleveland art museum where they had a few silver prints by Edward Weston that were not only kept in a glass case but were on a timed light so you couldn't look very long.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One thing i will just add that I forgot to mention was that I am sure galleries like the John Stevenson/Howard Greenberg would be insured against any damage made by the general public to a print. Obviously they would take every step to avoid making claims as their premiums would rise, but i suppose that gives artists like Izu the reassurance that if a platinum print without glass in front of theirs does get damaged whilst on display they will be recompensed.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, if you live in a museum, you probably don't have to worry as much about glazing valuable prints. Just be sure to keep your environmental control systems and red velvet ropes well maintained. Also, a good health care plan for your security guards...
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I seem to remember...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    Well, if you live in a museum, you probably don't have to worry as much about glazing valuable prints. Just be sure to keep your environmental control systems and red velvet ropes well maintained. Also, a good health care plan for your security guards...
    that you had a big dog guarding your personal gallery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just an update, I spoke to a really helpful lady that deals with Izu’s platinum prints at the Howard Greenberg gallery last night and she said that when they exhibit any of his platinum prints at the gallery they have no glass in front of them, however once one is sold they tell the buyer to put it behind glass, they used to use den glass but you cannot get that anymore so they recommend tru vue.

I also spoke to the John Stevenson Gallery as i was trying to arrange a visit next week for a friend of mine. They told me that they ‘used’ to show platinum prints without glass too but recommend that buyers put glass in front of them. The person on the telephone mentioned that the gallery had closed and they had sadly had to stop representing around 30 photographic artists and are only representing around 10 now at the new location. Apparently according to him over the last two years there has been a significant downturn in sales of contemporary photographers work and more of a return to sales of their vintage work. He said that they are now focusing on painters as opposed to photography as a result of this ‘downturn’. That’s pretty sad news as I would have loved to have seen their main Gallery in New York as people have told me how special the place was.

I mentioned about this 'downturn in contemporary photographers sales over the last two years' to the lady at the Greenberg gallery and she was of the opposite view but did state that the shaky U.S economy has had a slight effect on sales.
    Last edited by Davec101; 09-28-2007 at 05:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Aaron Siskind regularly showed his silver prints without glass....all of the deep blacks and the glass reflections just didn't mesh.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Just to upsdate and correct my post re: "True View Ultra Clear" ...

Correct name was True-Vue Ultra Clear. True-Vue Inc no longer makes it - extremely low demand for next-to-no-lead, almost 100% light transmission, zero u/v protection glazing. Their 98% "Museum" is the best they can do and if I recall I tried that and didn't like it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The UV blocker in their museum glass or coating (what ever it is) just doesn't cut it. Just regular framing glass with no UV filtration is even better than that for viewing. They do sell an acrylic, I think it is called something like OP-3 that may be better than glass. I haven't tried it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin