Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,861   Online: 1137

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    For general display, I put platinum prints behind glass to protect them. But, I use frames with quick release clips. When I am showing the prints to photographers or others who can truely appreciate them, I just snap out four clips, take out the print and pass it around.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    That is a good Idea Allen, are the frames readily available? How about a high quality plastic instead of glass?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Dave,

I buy the frames at Michaels at the mall. I wait for them to go on sale and then stock up on them. I matt to standard sizes so I don't have to keep alot of different sizes on hand. The frames I use are sometimes called Weston Frames. The mount is held in place by four clips or springs on the back.

Allen

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    Hi Dave,

I buy the frames at Michaels at the mall. I wait for them to go on sale and then stock up on them. I matt to standard sizes so I don't have to keep alot of different sizes on hand. The frames I use are sometimes called Weston Frames. The mount is held in place by four clips or springs on the back.

Allen
    Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dave- when it comes to framing, high quality plastic is an oxymoron. Especially when framing platinum/palladium prints . Utrecht art supply has a selection of metal or wood frames that look quite nice and are inexpensive, and easy to open/close.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I think he meant something like Tru Vue Optium Museum Acrylic.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I think he meant something like Tru Vue Optium Museum Acrylic.

Jon
    Yes,

There are several plastic companys here in Vegas that manufacture end product for the gaming industry...awhile back I was shown some really nice acrylic for museum use that inhibited UV and also was quite scratch resistant. It looked really good, and of course as opposed to glass was quite light weight.....was thinking of the out door art show scene etc and having all that glass weight; Here it goes on slot machine fronts, displays and for display cases for expensive sports paraphanalia etc, using that plastic with Allen's frame idea I thought might be worth a shot.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The last time I showed a collection of prints without glass in a public exhibition, I did have one idiot actually touch one. Would I do it again - yes - I think glass hides the best qualities of platinum and the other iron-based processes. It's a risk, but in this case I believe it to be a risk worth taking.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dave-

it might work- most of the plastic I've seen used in framing is not rigid enough on its own, and will eventually bow out under the pressure of the clips. That's what I meant by high quality plastic and framing being an oxymoron. Even the high-end acrylics I've seen applied in frames (even the Tru Vue) scratch fairly easily.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin