Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,740   Online: 1151

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

some VDB experiments

Here are a few Van Dyke Brownprint experiments I ran this week. Basically I wanted to see whether gold chloride added to the emulsion would change the color of the VDB, which it did, making the prints slightly redder. But, it also caused a loss in printing speed. No real benefit as far as I could see...

The sequence below shows how the negative printed on a #2 contrast RC paper followed by some VDB variations. As you can see, a negative intended for VDB printing is way too dense and contrasty to print on a normal silver paper.

The first VDB variant is my usual method on Cranes' Kid Finish ecruwhite stationery toned in Clerc's gold-thiourea toner. This is followed by untoned prints on white and ecruwhite paper and then examples of prints with gold chloride added to the VDB sensitizer.

It appears that the white version of the paper prints with more contrast than the ecru flavor.

Joe
    Last edited by smieglitz; 10-03-2007 at 08:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for posting the results of your continuing experiments. As is usual, they are extremely informative. Looking forward to further posts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting and usefull information Joe, and great examples to compare. Nice to see the FB vs VDB prints and the way the gold reacts with the mix.

Thanks for sharing the info.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Thanks Joe. I also appreciate the postings of your tests.
    I love the colour in test#2, it appears a bluish grey. Can I ask your gold thiourea recipe and times.
    I have also been using this toner but geting colours more toward purplish brown, which are nice but I really like the colour your getting, especially with that particular paper. I have been using Stonehenge white.
    nice work.
    david

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Clerc's toner formula I used was:

10 ml 5% gold chloride
    50 ml 1% thiourea
    1/10 tsp tartaric acid in 250 ml distilled water
    3 tablespoons table salt
    distilled water to make 1 liter

Add the thiourea slowly to the gold chloride solution and stir until any precipitate is dissolved. Then add the gold-thiourea solution to the tartaric acid solution. Mix in 3 tablespoons salt and bring the volume to 1 liter with distilled water.

The #2 print was toned for 5 minutes in fresh toner.

There's a good article on VDB by Wynn White at the http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Vandyke/vandyke.html webpage. That's where I got the original formula which I've adapted a bit.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Joe,
    What's the approximate toning capacity of 1 liter of Le Clerc's? Also, can it be replenished? Thanks.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    What's the approximate toning capacity of 1 liter of Le Clerc's?
    I have been using toner in very small amounts as a one shot deal. I got this from Sandy King. He list the amounts per prints as 5x7- 20 ml & 11x14- 88ml.
    However, you need to use flat bottom trays with such small amounts.

david

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    There's a good article on VDB by Wynn White at the http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Vandyke/vandyke.html webpage. That's where I got the original formula which I've adapted a bit.
    Joe, I also use Wynn's posted recipe. Your amounts for gold chloride and Thiourea are the same. however, I can't figure out the tartaric acid amount you use. Is it the same as Wynn's (48ml of 10% solution)?
    I have been using only half the amount of gold chloride, and the purple isn't as strong. I dont' see the Tartaric acid having that much effect on the toner and, therefore how you're getting such a different colour. perhaps it's the paper?
    david

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    David,

I adapted the formula from Wynn's recipe so I assume it would be the same if I worked it back again. I put the thiourea into liquid as it is a toxic powder and I didn't want to bother weighing it each time I mixed the toner. The tartaric acid was less problematic so I just converted that measurement and that of the table salt to a readily available household measurement.

I'm not sure of the capacity of the toner since it is used by others in the same darkroom, but I know it lasts much longer than the old borax toner I used to use.

As far as the color, I also use Clerc's toner on salted paper, albumen and Centennial POP, and I get a similar color. Part of the look I get in VDB is due to the complementary color effect of the ecru paper.

Here's a nude in the landscape printed on POP and toned in Clerc's.

Joe

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin