Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,210   Online: 1119

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

90 lb aquarelle?

Anyone using Arches 90lb hot press for iron processes? I've been using the 140 and love it but something a little thinner would be perfect. How does the surface and wet strength compare to the heavier paper? I'm also curious about the acid pre-bath, if I should weaken the solution or shorten the time because of the thinner stock. I've been using a 5% citric acid solution for 5 minutes. Thanks for any tips.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Well, I guess I'll experiment some and report back. Anyone using arches aquarelle at any weight other than me?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    So far I really like the paper. Kind of a light screen pattern on the A side so I'm going to try the reverse. But it holds up to the acid prebath and extended wet time extremely well and is very thin, though not as thin as Weston Diploma. Oddly, it's warmer in sodium citrate dev/pd toning than the 140lb, a lot closer to the native kallitype color.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 10-30-2007 at 08:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Great image!

Switching papers is always an iffy thing. Made some prints on the Weston Diploma, or whatever it is called these days...Crane's Diploma Parchment is what B&S calls what I used. The prints were small, so handling the lighter paper was not a problem. The warmer aper base was what I was after, too.

More dry-down than I was use to, so that is just a matter of some fine-tuning.

Glad the Arches is working for you!

vaughn

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Many thanks Vaughn. I'm trying some s. acetate as the developer today and it's looking much more neutral, exactly like the 140lb in the same developer. Which is making me think I did something inadvertent to the s. citrate mage. Oh well. I'll post one of the s. acetate/ pd toned images when it's washed and dried...I'm really amazed how strong this paper is wet.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin