Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,226   Online: 1025

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

'Old Brown' in Lith Printing

I'm just curious, how old is too old when using old brown? I was just cleaning out my darkroom and found a bottle thats about 3 years old, is that pushing it?

Can age/concentration of the old brown be another variable in lith printing?

If I can use this, what ratio to fresh developer should I use?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just fired up for the winter printing season

Fintan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No definitive answer here, but I've used it at several months old. I doubt there's any developer activity left and the sulfite has been oxidized, but the semiquinone and bromide is really what you need in old brown. I can't think why that wouldn't be good.

Something I have found useful. I'm always trolling for old papers, and many that are lithable turn out to be badly fogged. I save these to make up "new" old brown with if I think the bromide level is too high. Also for testing if the developer is dead. Or to check sulfite balance. If you have a fresh pan of developer but no lith action, drop a test strip in with the lights on, and sprinkle a pinch of sulfite on top, see what happens. If it starts to lith, then you know you need more sulfite. Have fun this winter. Lith is a kick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    my experience is that everything in Lith is a variable. Do pm Tim Rudman as he will know the answer. wishing you good printing, GLarson
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I believe that the presence of 'old brown' is to take some of the edge off the fresh developer. I always find that I get better results into the printing session than the first attempts at getting a satisfactory print.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin