Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,614   Online: 693

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    Do you lose much developer on the larger helper with a hole?
    Nope. The development is pretty much over and developer being dumped by the time any fluid can find its way to the hole. I try to keep the minimum amount on the surface of the plate but if I shake the tray, some may get underneath so I try not to do that.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I found a place that sells acrylic locally in just about any thickness or color. I opted for opaque black for the silver bath and clear for the helper tray and cyanide fixer bath. The cool thing is, they are going to cut all the pieces for free. I was trying to calculate in my head how much I'd need and she mentioned they would cut them for me. I also got some of the weldon adhesives. I'll be picking it up tomorrow so that's one more piece of the puzzle put in place....

Scott

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What's the name of that seller? I'd much rather have someone cut it for me and do a better job than I could. Every container that I've built has had leaks that I've had to fix gradually because my cuts weren't perfect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Bruce.
    The name of the company is Regal Plastics.
    It looks like they have a location in Baton Rouge.
    I'll be picking the pieces up tomorrow so I can comment on the quality.
    While on hold the 'hold guy voice' was talking about the new high accuracy cutting something or other....so it should be pretty good.
    Scott

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I bought mine and had them cut it at Ridout Plastics. Rplastics.com. These are cut to the thousandth. I know I could have never cut them this close. This has to be CNC cuts. I had all the pieces in three days.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    When using the Weld-On adhesives use them sparingly. What they do is actually chemically melt the acrylic and fuse the pieces together. I use Weld-on 3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought I'd throw out an update for those following. I got the plastic pieces and put together my baths. Bruce, if you decide to deal with Regal make sure you talk to an experienced sales person. Mine didn't exactly know what was 'free.' Instead of finding out they did the work anyway and tried to come back with a $50 surcharge because there were some small pieces. The also charged 1sqft per piece! I told her I would have just cut it myself if I'd known that. In the end we reached a settlement. The cool thing was they threw in all these 'scraps' from around the place when I picked up my order. I got all sorts of sizes and colors.
    I am glad that they cut the pieces. My jigsaw and bandsaw can't get that smooth.....
    Anyway, I was able to assemble two baths and made a helper tray. I also received my chemicals and just made the rest of them today. I made the collodion on wednesday and hope to make a first attempt this weekend.
    Tonight I will be 'seasoning' the silver bath and after that I think I'm all set.

I'll probably watch parts of Coffer's dvds again to try and avoid mistakes.
    So hopefully I'll have something to show soon......
    Scott

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Scott. I admire your enthusiasm. Just remember to filter your developer well and filter your varnish even more. Get yourself a hydrometer and filter your silver bath after every printing session. You're gonna have a ball! Oh... filter your fixer too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I just poured the plate to season the silver bath. It went better than I thought. I was a little shy on the amount but other than that it went pretty well.
    Robert, yep I have a hydrometer. Use to make my own beer....
    Gotcha on the filtering. Everything looks right based on what I've read. So now I just need to try it out. I plan to just do it over and over again to get use to the process. Hopefully I'll actually see something show up on the plates
    Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I had a fun weekend!
    I did three plates on saturday and three on sunday.
    I posted on quinn's wet plate forum (yes i finally got in!) about some issues I was having. So far, the hardest part seems to be the development. I tried my helper tray but I kept getting islands, so i switched to the tilt tray method.
    I was also overdeveloping. I don't know by how much but Sunday I started counting off and used Greg's (from the other forum) suggestion of 12sec for development. That helped a lot with the veiling issues I was having but I still have some. Here is the last plate I took. I have a couple things going on. I was able to rub off some of the scum with my finger (any reason I can't use my finger instead of a cotton square?), but there is still some there (look at the blacks). I also have the chemical swirlies showing up in the upper left and bottom. I think this is all at development. Maybe I need to filter it better. This plate was from the bottom of the developer bottom and there was a little precipitate. I decanted as best I could.....
    Also, rinsing after developing. How long in the first bath? Is tap water fine? How long rinsing total before fixing?
    Despite the 'issues' (I expected quite a few ) this is pretty damn cool!
    Thanks
    Scott

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin