Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,732   Online: 808

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Scott, You may want to pay close attention when you are rocking the plate back and forth in the tray. If you have to much developer and it is splashing hard against the side of the tray and then back onto the plate I found can cause some problems. My development seemed much cleaner when I just have the least amount ( enough to cover the plate of course) and just barely keep it moving back and forth on the plate. I hope that makes sense

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    Also, rinsing after developing. How long in the first bath? Is tap water fine? How long rinsing total before fixing?
    Tap water should be fine. I've been washing fairly vigorously, as shown by Kerik, repeatedly dumping and filling the tray for 25-30 seconds before fixing, then going light and rinsing a bit more for good measure before pouring my fix. He also showed me to rinse the sink where working fairly well just to make sure there is no acetic acid left from the developer to come into contact with the KCN fixer. As you know, acid mixed with KCN is the killer combo. Be careful!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Bill is this in the field in the camper? The KCN and developer isn't going into the same holding tank ( waste water tank) is it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info fellas. Robert you could be on to something with the rocking. I wasn't 'that' hard with it but it does look like that could have happened. The developing technique seems to be the hardest to get right.....
    Bill thanks for the added info on rinsing. I just noticed A LOT of developer in that first bath and didn't think it would be good to stay in there too long.
    The only problem I have now is Daylight savings!!!
    It might not be til this weekend til I get to play again

Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Bill is this in the field in the camper? The KCN and developer isn't going into the same holding tank ( waste water tank) is it?
    NO! Thanks for clarifying this. This is in the darkroom. With Kerik, we fixed outdoors while mobile. KCN was poured back into its bottle for reuse and then final rinsing was out of doors. Developer and fixer rinse never came into contact when mobile.
    Last edited by bill schwab; 11-05-2007 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    Don't fret the cost of the silver nitrate. It will last a long time (unless you forget to latch the lid of your silver bath and it falls over in your mobile darkroom when you leave your shooting site, which I managed to do a couple weeks ago. It made for a very expensive stain on the floor of my camper/darkroom.)
    Onto which I placed my camera bag.. now it has "black paws" too!

As for the silver nitrate, I have found a local supplier that offers it only in 500 gram lots. Only 237.00 for the 500 grams though. Anyone intersted in a group buy for future use? They have USP Collodion and Ether as well for a pretty good price.

Bill
    Last edited by bill schwab; 11-05-2007 at 05:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    Onto which I placed my camera bag.. now it has "black paws" too!

As for the silver nitrate, I have found a local supplier that offers it only in 500 gram lots. Only 237.00 for the 500 grams though. Anyone intersted in a group buy for future use? They have USP Collodion and Ether as well for a pretty good price.

Bill
    I'm game.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At under 50cents a gram that's tempting Bill. However, I have enough for the foreseeable future. You did remind me that I have a local distributor also. I might have to use them to save on shipping to score some kcn or ether. Or course I'd have to use the lab I work for as a front....Right now I'm just 'borrowing' some ether and kcn we have at the lab.
    Speaking of silver nitrate, I officially have black paws. But it's more like speckled hands I swear more and more spots kept showing up the following day. Had to explain that to the coworkers
    Scott

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Artcraft Chemicals.....silver nitrate- 175.00/lb

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I varnished some plates last night. That went pretty well except the pour off edge. No matter how long I waited for the varnish to quit collecting (dabbing off with a paper towel), I'd still get some 'roll back' on that edge.
    It's nice to see the final image. It restores some of the qualities of the plate before dry down. VERY cool!
    But I still want to get some clean plates for those deep blacks. So next time I plan to watch the back and forth during development. Also, I might dry the back of the plate again after exposure. I dry it well before putting it in the holder but sometimes it sticks the backing glass. Which leads me to believe a little rolls off and gets back under there.
    Earlier in this thread most mentioned you used the sugar developer. Mind if I ask which formulation? I'm using coffer's formula of 200mL water, 10g Ferrous, 12g sugar, and 8ml glacial.
    Over on Quinn's site I saw his sugar developer and wondered if it would be less agressive. I'm doing all my chemistry inside the house so temperature shouldn't be an issue.
    Thanks
    Scott

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin