Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,951   Online: 705

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I made some progress of the holiday. The weather was crummy and so I started in on the box. Joe, I was wrong about coffers circum. The 90" was the length and he made ~140" circum. That still sounds a bit much to me. I got some $1/yd fabric and made a quickie shroud. It was 60" wide fabric like the stuff from porter's (which is 60" but without fringe is 58"). I sewed it so there was ~120" circum. I then tacked it in the box to see how it would fit. I believe coffer said to stretch tight the bottom and sides and pleat at the top. Well after messing with it for a bit, I realized it's best (with my design) to have the top and bottom tight and pleat the sides. The reason being is the sides 'grow' after the come out of the box up to the top of the holder over the head. Thus, they need extra fabric to do that. I redid the temp shroud like that and it worked much better.
    I will be installing the 'real' shroud tonight, because I went ahead and threw some stain and poly on the box first.
    Joe, I went with your "three pole on the top door" design to hold up the shroud. The final part of that will be incorporated tonight as well.
    It will basically be ready for car or table top use after that.
    I have been mulling over what to do about legs. Joe, I really like your incorporated style and the wheels. Yesterday, I had a brainstorm that I think I'm going to try. I have this little table at home that folds up for storage. One set of legs detaches and goes to the other set so they are pressed together. I 'think' I could make a table/dolly combo thingie gizmo so I could convert a table (to put the box on) into a dolly (to haul the box around). I just need to hit the hardware store and look at hardware options. At any rate, I'm excited to get out in the field!
    Scott

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Scott, Any pics on your progress? Robert

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip about side pleats. Now that you've mentioned it, it makes a lot of sense and I'll remember to do so when I build my next box. It makes sense to keep the bottom tight (i.e., flat) and have the other sides expand.

I'm looking forward to seeing the "table/dolly combo thingie gizmo" when it is finished.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks fellas. I'll try to take a few digipics tonight after I install the shroud. Hopefully familial duties won't detract too much.
    Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Darkbox

Okie dokie fellas I worked hard at it but finally got the box together. The first pic is the box closed and in the back of my truck. It's on a homemade skid I made years ago for camping. The next pic show how I keep the top up (and the three prong approach ala Joe). Then you can see what it looks like with the shroud deployed.
    I took a couple of close up shots to show some details. You can see the inside and the white table cloth (removable) that I placed down. You'll also notice no window. I decided to forgo that and just use a red led light. The next pic shows how I attached the shroud to the upper supports. This was a last minute change. I was going to use a cross board but decided this is less rigid and there aren't any holes. You can also see the hinge system I used to lower the front door. I flipped the hinges upside down to the would be relatively smooth with the surface. The last pic is of the double bath I made for rinsing the plate after development.
    It took me a little longer than I expected last night to install the shroud. Even though I used a mock up, I stop short of taking it completely to it's functional intention. So...I learned a little more last night. I basically had a 116" circum, 10' long tube. As I mentioned yesterday it seems the only place extra fabric is needed is on the sides. Well, that's true but there is another caveat. I spent a lot of time figuring out how to do this last night....
    The best way to do it is to staple in the bottom part of the tube into the bottom corners with it tight across the length. To maximize the table space we want the fabric to come straight out to the edge of the table (essentially covering the whole table. The other important thing it to get the height up to the upper support. This is where a wider circum tube helps out (but it's not necessary. What I had to do, since my circum. was only 116" was 'go back' farther on the top part of the tube to attach to the support. If I was too close to the front it would lift the fabric off the table and thus loose working space. So I found the spot it needed to be to keep the fabric on the table, tie it to the support, THEN went to tack the rest of the cloth to the inside of the box. What ended up happening is there is extra cloth at the top (in the horiz. plane) so it will actually come down the wall. Then I had fabric to make up for on the sides and just put in one huge pleat on each side. I know that might not be clear but perhaps you can see what I mean by the pic of the inside. I'll also go into photoshop here in a minute and do a mock up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails darkbox_05.JPG   darkbox_06.JPG   darkbox_01.JPG   darkbox_02.JPG   darkbox_03.JPG  

darkbox_04.JPG   darkbox_07.JPG  
    Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    okay here's a quickie kiddie draw of how the fabric (in blue) looked when I installed it. The top came down quite a bit and I made it snug so it would not hang down and get in my face. The red lines are about where I put a pleat in. A nice little side benefit of a narrow tube is it come up off the end of the table (where my belly hits it) to form kind of a backboard barrier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inside.jpg  
    Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    one more thing....
    I still haven't decided on how I'm going to do the legs
    I stopped off at the hardware store and was brainstorming. I still think the dolly/table is doable but it might be more rugged to just pull it around with one of these. I could load the box, table (or legs), chemicals, camera, etc. all up in there and pull it through the wilderness....
    Last edited by schrochem; 11-28-2007 at 10:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Scott

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Looking good Scott. When does it get its first use? Be sure to post some pics.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The side pleats are a great idea! Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice job Scott! I'm trying to decde if I want a free-standing box, or if I want to modify the back of my Jeep. Looking at yours, I realize both are possible in one.

Bill

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin