Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,880   Online: 1132

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks very much for the information.
    Yes I had read about Coffer and Quinn's books and DVDs. I will most likely be sending off for the Coffer one. I think the DVD would be quite helpful. I found the YouTube videos quick explanatory.
    As I suspected the responses conjured up more questions.
    Thanks for the info of glass vs. metal. I went to the main trophy site and I'm not sure which type or thickness is typical. Someone care to help me out there? Also, what thickness of glass is typical?
    Smieglitz thanks for all the information. I can know see all the possibilities with colored glass....very cool. Also, your mention of the silver nitrate in the developer making it go towards neutral brought up another question. Do anyone use the developer once and discard for this reason?
    RobertP thanks for all the information. One of your last comments is the first I've read of having to add salts, ether and ethyl alcohol to the collodion. So are they just selling the gun cotton? Where do you get ether? I know ether should be tough to get because of 'other' naughty uses out there.
    Last question for now: any reason why the plates can't 'dipped' or 'dunked' in collodion to get smooth coverage? I'm talking about positives but assuming it's because of the waste of collodion (and then silver later). I could also see that being a problem on glass, but on aluminum it seems like the only problem would be wasting chemicals.
    Thanks again for the help.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    John Coffer's Book and DVD set. I've never seen the dry plate holders but they should probably work fine for tintypes. My only concern would be if they are able to handle the thicker glass used for ambrotypes and glass plate negatives. You may need to do a little modification to them. I'll post a pic of my wet plate holder and show you what I mean.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Scott, The collodion is the gun cotton already dissolved in ether. You add additional ether and alcohol. Clarkson Labs sells ether.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Harry, Apparently I don't know how to insert a pic into a post. If you like you can send me your email address and I'll forward you pics of my wet plate holder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert, thanks for the information on the collodion.
    To insert a pic you have to use 'post reply' instead of the quick reply at the bottom. After you get to the post reply screen, click on the paper clip to upload a picture from your computer.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Scott, I'll give it a try

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1192373843....Here is my wet plate holder. There is a spring clip in the center of the door on the left side of the first pic that is hard to see. This holder has inserts that allow me to shoot 5x7...8x10....11x14...and 14x14. When doing a glass plate the glass is used alone but when doing a tintype/ aluminum plate you have to use a backing glass to take up the extra depth in the holder. It also helps keep the spring clip from bowing the tin plate or aluminum plate. Also someone asked about the thickness of the aluminum from Main Trophy. For large plates you want to order the thicker trophy aluminum. You can use the thinner stuff for plates under 8x10 but since the smallest I shoot is 5x7 I just order it all in the thicker material.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0001_1.jpg   DSCN0003_1.jpg   DSCN0002_1.jpg  
    Last edited by RobertP; 10-14-2007 at 11:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for posting those Robert. I'd always wondered what the wet plate holders look like. In the second picture are you showing both glass and aluminum? In the third photo how is the plate held in place?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Yes after the aluminum plate is sensitized it would be placed in the holder collodion side down toward the darkslide. The glass would then be placed on top of that. Notice the little corner pieces at the corners of the insert. That is what the plates rest on. There is a spring clip in the center of the door that is hard to see( I'll take a better pic of it). When the door is closed it presses against the plates to hold them in place.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/forums/attachmen...2375620...Here is a better pic of the spring clip on the inside of the door
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0005.jpg  

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin