Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,548   Posts: 1,573,039   Online: 841

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11151617181920212223 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Kerik, Isn't the Verito a petzval design? I mean as you stop down you get a sharper image out to the corners. Wouldn't that happen also with a Dallmeyer 3A if you used a small enough waterhouse stop? But the Verito is considered a soft focus lens and the Dallmeyer is not? I thought what made them a petzval design was the fact that there is one element up front and two in the back. Then again I'm no optics expert.
    Robert,

Nor am I. Jason is much better informed on these details than I am. If the Verito is a petzval, then there is something different about it to add the beautiful diffusion that it gives at and near wide open. The Derogy and the Dallmeyer that I have are petzval lenses but exhibit NO diffusion or soft focus effects wide open or stopped down.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Scott, Was the Vesta manufactured after the Verito?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Kerik, I see your point. I too have a Verito and a Dallmeyer and the Dallmeyer has no where near the diffusion that the Verito has at F4 or even up to F11 across the entire film plane. The Verito is one magical piece of glass for sure.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Maybe Jason will jump in here and give us a brief dissertation on lens design. As long as he realizes that it needs to be something along the lines of " Lens Design for Dummies" at least in my case anyway.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It is my understanding that they are contemporaneous - the Vesta was sold as a budget Verito.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    an 18" verito just got added to the apug classifieds. Yep, those things have increased in value.
    Based on what yall are saying, maybe i'll try to find a petzval f/4 type lens.
    I see Joe found his way to some of those brass lenses on ebay
    Last edited by schrochem; 11-28-2007 at 04:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Scott

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, prices have gotten a bit insane for these lenses. I bought mine in 2002 for $250. And mine is in a Studio shutter...
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A bit insane I agree, one sold on fleabay not to long ago for over a grand, did have a studio shutter though. 16" kodak portrait lenses and long heliars are even worse (drool....)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    A friend of mine bought one from Seth 2 yr ago. A mint 18" in a studio shutter and it had the extra front element that converted it to a 22" lens for 500.00

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Lens Collectors Vade Mecum lists the Vitex and Vesta as petzval arrangements. The Vitax was listed in 1914 and had a softness adjustment. The Vesta was like the Vitax but slower and without the softness adjustment. On some models the rear cell could be removed and replaced with the front lens (reversed) for full-head photos.

The Verito listing says that it appeared in post 1919 catalogues and was a symmetrical design, well colour corrected with a lot of detail but softish due to spherical abberrations, becoming sharper on stopping down. The iris was designed to give a ragged edge, which gives way to the smooth outline of the mount on opening up beyond f8.0. In 1926 a 'new' Verito soft focus lens was introduced. It was an unsymmetrical doublet. The 18inch version was suggested for use with the 5x7 format. A 1920s Wollensak catalogue describes the Verito as being a rectilinear lens. some models appeared to be convertable.

Regards,
    Neil.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin