Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,177   Online: 1166

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121617181920212223 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Neil, The Verito is listed in the Wollensak 1912 catalog. Along with the Vesta and the Vitax.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Oh well, Robert - another error in the 'essential' lens book!
    Regards,
    Neil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another question that has arisen.
    Doing wetplate photography do any of yall use movements much? If so which and how often?
    It seems the effect of the lens is of primary concern.
    Comments, suggestions, peanuts, crackers?

Thanks
    Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I tried to get one of those nifty CC harrison lens, but whoever toothschmidt is, took it away. Doesn't he have enough lenses? I think bruce was trying for this one also. I thought maybe some people missed it cuz it was listed as a harrifonl
    Scott

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Scott- that one looked a bit rough. I passed on it - seeing the price, I'm really glad I passed. There's a glut of old brass lenses up on eBay right now - surely at least one will be more to your taste. Here's the one I just scored-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280175872033

a beautiful Darlot #2 Hemispherique Rapide (a rapid-rectilinear most likely). The photos in the Ebay listing don't do it justice. The brass is in much nicer shape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well the saga continues....
    I was gonna wait but one thing led to another and I now possess a Korona 11X14. Robert Seto over on the LF Forum brought it up on a thread and I 'had' to ask him about it...
    Well it's off getting a conversion back now.
    So, back to lenses. I'm gonna need something to cover this puppy. Those Veritos sound nice but probably expensive to cover 11X14. Any other suggestions? Gracias.
    Scott

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Bausch & Lomb Portrait Tessar 1c that covers 11x14 quite nicely. It's a bit modern a lens for wet-plate, but it handles the format well enough. In ultramodern glass, a Nikkor 450-M will do quite nicely. Then there's the old standby 14" Commercial Ektar. If you want to stick to old glass, the Dallmeyer/Voigtlander/etc #5 size lenses usually do the trick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Scott.
    I guess I would like to stay with the older 'look' but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be an old lens. I've noticed venturing into Wetplate has really opened my eyes to all the different kinds of lenses. I have much to learn! I just wish I could just try them all out and buy the ones I like
    I look on Ebay and go 'oh that would probably be cool!'....not exactly the best way to spend money
    With film and digital I was always looking for the sharpest, lightest lenses, now I want to explore lenses that add 'character' and compliment the wet plate process. Weight really isn't an issue any more...and neither is a shutter! Or for that matter, stops can be avoided
    Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was going back through what was said about lenses earlier and Kerik's post caught my attention. Specifically, using a lens on a larger plate than it was made for. How do you know if the lens is going to give you bokeh on larger plates instead of just going black?
    Kerik, the 3A (listed for 6.5X8.5") covers 11X14?
    As I mentioned, I know have a Korona 11X14 and it has 6X6 boards, so I have a little more girth to play with. That 18" verito sounds interesting. Jeremy graciously offered to let me borrow his, but I sent the camera off for a new back. This, however, brought up another problem, perhaps 6X6 isn't gonna be enough for some of these big lenses. Jeremy's 18" has a 6.5" flange.
    Any creative ways around this?
    Last query: any verito users, use just the rear element?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    Just and FYI on this. As Jason Motamedi has pointed out on similar threads, a Petzval is NOT a soft focus lens. They are in fact quite sharp (for their age) in the center. Those of us using them often use them on much larger plate (or film) sizes than they were designed for, so farther away from the center of the image you start getting the cool swirly bokeh going on. But, this is not the same as a true soft focus lens like the Verito, Pinkham and Smith, Kodak Portrait, Imagon, etc. Completely different animal. That said, my most used lenses for wet plate are a Derogy No. 3 Portrait lens (petzval design) for 8x10 and Dallmeyer 3A (petzval) for 11x14. But, also in heavy rotation are various soft focus lenses (18" Verito being the fave), a single-element landscape lens, Dagors, Artars, etc.
    Scott

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here's a nude in the woods on a 10x12 done with a Dallmeyer 3A. You can see the vignetting beginning in the corners and it would only be worse (or better, depending on your outlook) on an 11x14 plate.

10"x12" Ruby Ambrotype

The 3A and 18" Verito are huge lenses and quite heavy. You may wish to think about some sort of auxilary support for them on your Korona. Here's a 3A on a 9" board on my 11x14 Burke and James:

Joe

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin