Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,728   Online: 735

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    That is normal. It is a direct positive. Now if I was making a glass plate negative to print albumen the writing would be turned the right way on the albumen print. Or if you drink enough of it it will read properly.
    Last edited by RobertP; 10-14-2007 at 12:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Scott - you can also have a look at Robert Szabo's forum (been around a long time) for answers to a lot of questions:

http://www.cwreenactors.com/phorum/

Also, George Berkhofer's manual is precise, plain-speaking and debunks a lot of the myths asociated with the process:

http://www.collodionart.com/

Mark - the reason is that a collodion positive is, in fact, a thin negative. The dark background (or dark glass) makes it appear as a positive - you can sometimes see the same effect with thin film negatives held against a dark background when the light glances across them.

Regards,
    Neil

Images
    So,

Is it like a neg and can be viewed from the opposite side, and, in Robert's case, be read correctly?

The main reason for me to want to learn this was a series has been beating around in my head and this medium will suit it well. But there will be things with writing. I find the backward writing to be distracting and ultimately detracting from what would be a nice image.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Daguerrotypes, ambrotypes, and ferrotypes are all direct postive photographs. They can't be viewed from the other side. About the only way around this would probably be to shoot into a mirror.

Images
    Well, doing that series this way is out. Oh well the portrait project is still in.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahhh...that explains the backward tats on some of Prifti's recent plates.

With the trophy aluminum, is .025 the thicker size being talked about?
    Is just aluminum bought or is a color such as black bought?
    Thanks

Scott

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    It is the gloss black color you want. Yes, but you can use the thinner .020 stock for small plates. I think the coating on the aluminum is a black backed on enamel. But I'm not really sure.
    Last edited by RobertP; 10-14-2007 at 02:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ambrotype on clear glass....

Regards,
    Neil

Images
    I don't understand your post Neil.

By the way thanks for posting the link to the forum. It has been pretty interesting reading.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neil thanks for the response. I had found the cnreenactors but not George's. Your response to Mark was intriguing. I thought I had read that the developing or fixing was different if you were going to do a positive or a negative. Or did I miss something?
    I remembered something I saw in one of Quinn's YouTube Movies. He makes a negative but at the end (1:50) he shows the positive by putting it up to black cloth. So is a glass positive just the negative done on black glass? I suppose the negative could be displayed as a positive by mounting it against a dark background.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Miller View Post
    Scott - you can also have a look at Robert Szabo's forum (been around a long time) for answers to a lot of questions:

http://www.cwreenactors.com/phorum/

Also, George Berkhofer's manual is precise, plain-speaking and debunks a lot of the myths asociated with the process:

http://www.collodionart.com/

Mark - the reason is that a collodion positive is, in fact, a thin negative. The dark background (or dark glass) makes it appear as a positive - you can sometimes see the same effect with thin film negatives held against a dark background when the light glances across them.

Regards,
    Neil

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin