Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,007   Online: 1066

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Suggestions for HP5+ in PMK Pyro for Pt/Pd

I've decided to try developing HP5+ in PMK pyro. Can anyone help me out by suggesting a starting point for film speed and development time? I've posted this question in the Alt Process forum because I print with Pt/Pd so obviously need longer times than silver. Oh, and I'll be using trays rather than a jobo.

A million thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you seen the articles on Unblinking Eye about staining developers

Also Sandy Kings article about PyrocatHD on the same site.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Massive Dev Chart says ASA 400, 12 mins @ 68f 1:2:100 (for silver printing). I've found that if I keep the same time, cut the ASA to 200, and soup at 75f instead of 68, I have good pt/pd negs. Otherwise, I'd take their recommendations on time and bump it up 20% (2 1/2 mins or so).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The Massive Dev Chart says ASA 400, 12 mins @ 68f 1:2:100 (for silver printing). I've found that if I keep the same time, cut the ASA to 200, and soup at 75f instead of 68, I have good pt/pd negs. Otherwise, I'd take their recommendations on time and bump it up 20% (2 1/2 mins or so).
    Thanks Scott. I guess that means I can kiss goodbye to depth of field - I'm used to pushing it to 800 in Rodinal... I'll run some tests with a model tomorrow based on ASA 200 and see where that leads me. It'll be interesting to see whether I can tell the difference in the print.

And thanks also Ian. I dabbled with pyro a while ago so I've seen most of the literature, but Rodinal was so convenient that I couldn't quite leave it behind. (And may not be able to this time either...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ian you may want to try B&S variant called Rollo Pyro. It's PMK on steroids and works great with HP5 and pt/pd. I prefer it to Pyrocat. I do about 9 minutes @ ~70 degrees with near constant agitation.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, my time for PMK Pyro 1:2:100 @20C for Platinum/Palladium is 14:00 min, with constant agitation in a tray, i.e. shuffling. EI 400.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shoot 250. 12 minutes PMK- but that's 120.

Shooter
    35mm
    I rate 250, 1:2:100 12min@68, for 8x10. Gives a dual purpose neg.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin