Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,025   Online: 882

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Which Respirator

I'm looking to buy a respirator for use in my Alt Process studio and am looking for suggestions from those with experience in this area.

Processes: pt/pd, gum, wetplate, cyanotype, pyrocat developer

Probably the big 3 chemicals: formaldehyde, ether, ammonium dichromate
    Last edited by Jeremy; 10-22-2007 at 11:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's the right mask/filter set - you may need to look elsewhere though to get it. Last I heard, (and this may have changed) Grainger only sold to business accounts. They may retail through their website. If you can't get it from them, Home Depot and Lowes sell similar masks with appropriate organic vapor cartridges. If you can try them on before you commit to one, that's best, because a major factor in their success is how well the mask fits. The cartriges could be effective against organic vapors, biohazards, and molecular radiological particulates but they won't do you a damn bit of good if the mask doesn't form a good seal on your face. You should keep absolutely cleanshaven when using one, or your stubble will break the seal.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    There are some fumes that require special cartridges such as formaldehyde. But these can be purchased to fit your respirator.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I got mine here:

http://www.labsafety.com/
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2013 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Mine is an AOSafety half mask dual cartridge. It takes R15 organic vapor cartridges but for formaldehyde you need to use R60a cartridges. I bought mine at Home Depot with the R15 cartridges and ordered the formaldehyde R60a cartridges online.

Shooter
    Large Format
    One of the dangers of these "nuisance masks" is that they rarely, if ever, have an end-of-use indicator. Consequently depending upon them is quite risky. If you are careful and change them every few months (or what ever their useful life might be) you may be fine, but there is really no way of knowing.

If you have the space, time, and skill building a good ventilation system over your wet-area and a small fume-hood for use with powders is much safer, assuming you build and test it appropriately. It may seem more expensive in the short run ($250 for a good extractor motor, $100 for pipe, $100 for wood, plus assorted hardware), however if you consider the cost of replacing the nuisance masks filters every few months it is really not so bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    ...Grainger only sold to business accounts.
    So sorry! You are correct Scott. If you do have a DBA or LLC it is easy enough to get an account and they are a great source for many things I end up needing.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I think all you need is an EIN. Employer Identification Number. Which is a federal tax number. You can get this on line by filling out the form on the IRS web site. It doesn't cost anything. At least this was the case when I opened an account with Clarkson Labs.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Respirators come in several sizes and require proper fitting. Every brand's size is also different. If they are not properly fit they offer reduced or no protection. If you want to use a respirator you should go to a safety supply dealer and have one fit to your face. Every brand of filter is different as well and one manufacturer's filter may not offer similar protection to another brand. Consult the safety dealer's information for proper filters based on chemical to be protected from. Please also note that different filters have a limited life based on chemical concentration and time in use. Good ventilation is a much wiser approach to protect yourself.

George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin