Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,756   Online: 928

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    When it rains it pours. I just received the soft boxes last week for two more of these lights because they were on back order. The new ones have the Fotodiox emblem on them. I just got them out and was assembling one of the new ones and ran into a manufacture defect in the front baffle. The black material the slides over the soft box is the right dimension where this black material meets the white 24" but at the other end ( the side that enters onto the soft box) they tapered it down to 22" it collapses the soft box somewhat. I called and they checked their new stock and concluded that they would have to be remade which can take up to three months. They offered to take the light back if I didn't want to wait. I'll just take the corner stitches apart and add material. And they will send new baffles when they come in. This is why I didn't want recommend something before really having a chance to use them. The light is fine its the softbox that has the problem.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If money is no object then the Kino-Flo or the Mole Richardson Molescent fluorescents are quality lights. But at ten times the price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert,

Do you really need a softbox for this light? Isn't CFL is relatively speaking already diffused? No?

Let me know how it goes.

tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm just going to build a light fixture to take nine of those 150w (500w equivalent) spiral bulbs. I figure that should give me the zip to hit under four seconds. I haven't priced it out, but other than the bulbs at $15 each or so, the rest of the fixture should only run another $50-100 or so for the plywood and the wires and lamp bases.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    As A matter of fact I think they will work better without the baffles. I was punching through two baffles at five feet away and was getting exposures around 12 sec. I think without the baffles you can get down to under 6. I'll check in the next day or so when I get time to shoot. Which will probably be tomorrow. The tube fluorescents like Mole Richardson are not baffled so I don't see why these wouldn't work just as well. I know they are more than twice as bright without punching them through two the baffles.

jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i attended a wet plate workshop in san francisco. we shot both inside the studio and outside. inside, i believe the instructor setup a large softbox with 4800 watt-seconds worth of daylight balanced speedotron inside. my workshop partner shot this of me using the setup:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow! Nice plate! I presume it's one pop from the strobe? What size is it and who did you learn from? I like the quality of light here. Some collodoin work I've seen lit with flourescent light sources give an odd clay-like look to human subjects.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Images
    SO how did people get registered at collodian.com

I e-mailed the guy a long time ago and got nothing. Do you have to harass him?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    kerik -- single pop, but man.. what a flash of heat! 4800 w-s at that proximity is intense.

i learned from michael schnidler at rayko. i tried to emulate the look using a #47 filter with a lens wide open and got this: http://schlachet.net/images/tiffen47-with-600v.jpg
    that's a polaroid 54 shot with a nikkor-w 210mm. i'll do the experiment over with older glass next time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info. I know very little about strobes, but I do have a Speedotron Brown line system laying around collecting dust. I think I'm going to have to start playing with it. Do you know if he had multiple heads inside the softbox?

Mark - Harassing is probably not a good idea, but try emailing Quinn again, politely. He's a busy man and a genuinely good guy. The reason the forum is "closed" for automatic signups is due to being inundated with spam and Quinn not having the time to deal with the hassle.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin