Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,294   Posts: 1,681,413   Online: 1020

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Kerik- your brown line is most likely inadequate to the task without multiple pops. I don't think they made a brown line with more than 800 or at most 1600 w/s. The one Jason was using is a 4800 w/s unit, but you can get away with the 2400 w/s black line units I think. According to Speedotron's website, the 4800 has a guide number of 1000, which is less than a 50% increase in power over the 2400 w/s unit (gn 710). The measurement is not entirely apples to apples, as the flash head used on the 2400 was not the same as the head on the 4800 unit (the head used on the 4800 power supply was built to handle 4800 w/s, whereas the 2400 unit was used with a head only capable of 2400 w/s - the increase in power handling capability may have an effect - it would be interesting to see what the difference would be if they both used the 4800 w/s head).

jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    kerik -- There were two heads. Each was powered by a 2403CX.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Has anyone tried Speedotron's 10" Fresnel that is 4800 ws? Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    -- single pop, but man.. what a flash of heat! 4800 w-s at that proximity is intense.
    Oh yeah... you can almost see your bones when they go off. I've got a couple 2000 pack systems left from my commercial days. I'll give them a try though. Thanks for the tip.

Bill
    Last edited by bill schwab; 12-11-2007 at 11:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A few choices:

1) Purchase the cheapest "shop-lite" kits at Home Depot - they put out a ton of UV at a very reasonable price. Big time fall-off though, so be prepared to shoot tight.

2) Borrow or rent an HMI "Par" from your friends in the TV or film business. While expensive to buy, they rent for $50 - $175 a day in these parts. Put out two tons of UV, and are powerful enough to bounce (ceiling, cards) or scrim and still shoot in a "reasonable" time for portraits. At URI last winter, I was bouncing a 1200 watt HMI par off a wall and shooting 1 - 3 seconds at f16 with good results.

Have tried BLB and BL UV lamps, but their effective range is so small they are not practical.

Like the spiral bulb unit above- gets me thinking.

NWG

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Output is similar to 1800 watt tungsten but with a color temp of 5000K. for 125.00. 16 30watt spirals. http://www.apug.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1197566110
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0044.jpg   DSCN0045.jpg   DSCN0047.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You can also control the array pattern when using just half the lights. http://www.apug.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1197566725
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0047_1.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Robert - What are you exposure times like with this thing?
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Kerik, I've only had the chance to use these for wet plate for one short session. And then I was dealing with a camera that needed repairs for light leaks. With that said, I could still get a pretty good assessment in a dark studio. With one light and both baffles in place and the light 4-5 foot from the subject I was getting exposures around 10-12 sec. I think by removing at least one of the baffles or both you could reduce that time significantly. I have three of these so once I get back to the wet-plate I'll see how using a couple more lights in different configurations work for reducing the exposure times. The upside to these lights are I couldn't build one for the price they are asking for these. These fixtures have metal housings so they are pretty sturdy. Due to the fact they they produce minimal heat you can move them a lot closer than the 4-5 ft that I used them at which would mean, as with any light, increasing the intenisity and raising the exposure values. I'm shooting for getting it down to the 3-4 sec. range but we'll see over the holidays as I'll have some time to shoot with a light tight camera. 2 seconds would be sweet! But that's asking a lot. Like I said I've been up to my elbows getting Pt/Pd prints done in time for Christmas so I'm looking forward to getting back to getting my paws black again. Robert

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin