Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,208   Online: 782

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Collodion with Artificial Light

Hi,

We did tintype portrait session over this weekend to raise awareness of it. Everyone liked it a lot, and I was so busy making images from 12 noon until 6 pm. It was really a great occasion.

Now I have a studio space finished, and want to start portrait session in the studio. Unfortunately, there is no windows in this space, and I am thinking of using artificial light.

Does anyone have experience in using artificial lighting for collodion process in studio? If you could share your findings and type of light you use, it would be great.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Use fluorescents that are 5000K or higher. 5600 or 6400 are fine also. 2700K lights such as fresnels are no good. Wet plate is blue sensitive.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Tsuyoshi, Pm me, I just bought some low cost 5000K spiral fluorescents- 16 spiral bulb array that seem to be working very well with wet-plate. Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert,

Can you post the info here about them? I know I'd be interested!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jeremy, I have only done a couple of shots with them so I can't give a real good assessment yet but you can get all the details of the light by going to the auction site and just type in Fotodiox. They are the Fotodiox C-1600 16 bulb spiral array. I took a chance on them and bought one, and at 125.00 they are a fraction of the cost of the more expensive fluorescents. I posted a couple of my first plates over at the collodion forum. These were exposure times of about 12 sec with the light at 5 ft away with both baffles on the soft box. I don't think I could build one of these for this price.
    Last edited by RobertP; 10-24-2007 at 02:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Someone posted a link to a spiral bulb supplier in response to a thread I started over on www.collodion.com . I'm planning on building my own light source using said bulbs, after I take Kerik's collodion class and get a feel for how much I really like the medium. I'll be glad to post plans for it after I build it. The bulb selling website is www.1000bulbs.com . They have spiral CF bulbs with output up to the equivalent of 500w.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh man, now I REALLY feel left out. Robert, I want to check out your photos on the collodion forum, but I'm still an unregistered peon
    sniff, sniff...

Scott

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Eric Taubman at the CFAAHP uses artificial light for some of his wetplate work, which is up to 20x24". You might ask what he uses.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Eric uses Kino-Flo light fixtures. They're beautifully made, and have individually adjustable power for each tube, but they're about $1K apiece. They're pretty powerful, at around 8-900 watts per lamp (relative). Even with that kind of output, you're still talking 10 seconds per exposure or so.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Yes 1000 bulbs is the place to buy them. They are the cheapest. Although in my last order to two more of these lights they sent half the biulbs that were a different size. Everything was the same except the newer bulbs they have in stock are 2.7" wide as compared to 2.3" wide which makes it impossible to squeeze them into this tight array. I called them and they are working on sending me the right bulbs. Here is a pic of the light with the right size bulbs. They are 30 watt 5000K . The light is rated at having the same light output as a 1800 watt fresnel. They are bright....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0044.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	8867

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0045_1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	8868http://www.apug.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8870&stc=1&d=119324974 2http://www.apug.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8869&stc=1&d=119324947 9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0047.jpg   DSCN0046_1.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin