Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,530   Online: 815

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Cyanotype and mould

Hi,

I have just purchased my first cyanotype kit (the classic version) and I didn't knew that one has to prevent mould in sollution A.

In the instruction is says that I can use formalin. I went to my farmacist (sp) and the only thing they had was formaldehyd (I hope you understand what it is, but I think that they have mixed formalin with water or alcohol). The sollution is only 4%.

My question is will this prevent mould?

The instruction says that I should use 1ml (in a 50ml sollutin) of formalin, but I guess I have to add some more now?

I know about the newer Cyanotype, but I wonder what I can do now.

/ Marcus

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Formalin - formaldehyde - basically the same. Yes, either will work to prevent mold.

I must say that I have never added either to cyanotype and have kept some for 2-3 years without mold.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Jim,

In the instructions it said that it will create mould in a week or two and it sounded as after that I could not use it.

So before I stir it together I think that I need to know what to do.

/ Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Formalin - formaldehyde - basically the same. Yes, either will work to prevent mold.

I must say that I have never added either to cyanotype and have kept some for 2-3 years without mold.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    One can just filter out the mold (coffee filter should do the trick)...it still should be usable.

Otherwise...mix up only enough to use in a relatively short period of time. Since it is the classical formula, the part that molds is Ferric ammonium citrate -- no other chemicals (Part B is also just a single chemical, Potassium cyanide) You can then easily divide these into smaller amounts and add water to them proportionally instead of making up the whole kit.

Making sure the containers are clean before mixing might help delay mold forming. I suppose you could keep the Part A in the refridgerator, but with kids that may not be too safe.

Good luck and have fun!

Vaughn

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I suppose you could keep the Part A in the refridgerator, but with kids that may not be too safe.

Vaughn

So you say that I will end up with two blue children now

/ Marcus

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brummelisa View Post
    So you say that I will end up with two blue children now

/ Marcus
    With the average temps in Sweden in the winter, that may be a given...

vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You would be better off not having the formalin/formaldahyde around the house. It is more hazardous (when mishandled) than the cyanotype chemicals.

Get a good scale that can measure to 0.1g (more important that it be repeatable than accurate) and mix only small amounts. If the mold does show up, filter the solution through a coffee filter. It will work just fine afterward.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've had mould on my solution A. I just took a disposable wooden chopstick and fished it out (it kind of sticks to the wood). Strangely, it has never grown back, so I've never had a mould problem since . I've had the same solutions A & B since April this year.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

Since it is the classical formula, the part that molds is Ferric ammonium citrate -- no other chemicals (Part B is also just a single chemical, Potassium cyanide)

Vaughn

Before we start a panic here, Cyanotype does NOT use Potassium Cyanide.

It uses Potassium Ferricyanide. This is an utterly different chemcial.

Neither part should mold appreciably, especially if you use boiled water or boiled distilled water.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks for catching that PE! I had the feeling something was wrong with that...but I got distracted by work.:o

Actually, I had "officially" finished my work day...but if students need help and I'm here, the work doesn't stop. (after all that is the fun part of my job!)

Vaughn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin