Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,239   Online: 1100

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vandyke and gold.. /after/ fix..

I plonked a few old vandykes into Tetenal Gold toner, and I wasn't expecting much...

But they toned ! 15 minutes or so in and they turn a more neutral grey-ish. Still 'warm' but quite a different shade of 'dark brown'. The DMax stays more or less the same.

So, whats wrong? were my vandykes badly fixed/cleared, or is it perfectly normal ? From my reading I assumed the toning had to be done before fixing -- with the exception of selenium.

In any case it gives an interesting option.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Everything is perfectly normal, and toning after fixing is no problem at all. It gives a slightly different tone than toning before fixing - or maybe that depends on whether or not the toning coes to completion?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    VDB toning test (be forwarned: naked lady in the woods pic)

Toning VDBs with gold after fixing is SOP for me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can tone with gold either before fixing or after fixing. I tone before fixing because I find that I get more Dmax than if I fix and then tone. The idea is to replace the silver with gold (or palladium or platinum) as soon as possible because the fixer can not reduce the toned image with the nobel metals, but if you are not careful it will reduce the silver image.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 11-03-2007 at 06:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, thats reassuring somehow

I'm quite happy how they turned out really, gives a nice option on the output tone one might want, without the problems of Selenium.

Here's a scan. Obviously it's a reject, and the scan is nowhere near capturing the nice tones and subtle purple highlights, but here you go..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin