Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,476   Posts: 1,570,998   Online: 900

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Ilford IR film and filter combo?

I have been looking at trying some IR film. Ilford recommends a 092 filter but I have been looking at the 093 as well. Does anyone have any good advice on a film, filter combo for Ilford IR 200? Also is there a rule of thumb, like "sunny 16" that will help me decide how to expose the film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 093 begins transmission deep-ish into the IR (at approximately 800nm). The 092 begins at the end of the visible spectrum (at 700-ish). Looking at the datasheet, the senstivity of SFX 200 doesn't go much beyond 750nm, so the 093 isn't likely to work well, if at all; the 092 will be fine. IR films also give a nice effect with a Red (#25) filter.

As far as a rule of thumb for exposure, there isn't really much that you can say for certain. The amount of visible light in an environment isn't [necessarily] representative of the amount of IR in said environment. It's really all based on experience gained through trial and error. Estimate your exposure and bracket a stop or 2 on either side.

I've used the Konica and Kodak IR films, though not SFX; so I can't give any starting points for exposure. I'm sure that someone here can.

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242 View Post
    I've used the Konica and Kodak IR films, though not SFX; so I can't give any starting points for exposure. I'm sure that someone here can.
    Well, as stated in the SFX 200 Data Sheet, 4 stops down from ISO 200 (ISO 25) is a good starting point for 092 and similar filters.

I have used SFX with a 715 nm filter (similar to 092); metering at 25 ISO is a nice starting point, but as htmlguru4242 says, if you want to be sure, bracket +/- 1 or 2 stops. And make notes. You can learn from those. Time of day, subject, it all has influence for IR. I'm still learning myself...

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A Hoya rm72 should work fine, and a tiffen #87 might also work, if you don't mind long exposures. A 93 will be much too deep, HIE is the only film I am aware of that makes good use of that. If somebody wants to buy my 40.5mm B+W 93 filter, I'll give a good price!

I think the Ilford SFX filter is basically just deep red.

Any way you slice it, you'll need to blow a few rolls to get the hang of it. Note also that there are extreme seasonal variations in the amount of near IR light reflected from foliage if you want lots of Wood effect then wait 'til spring.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    Well, as stated in the SFX 200 Data Sheet, 4 stops down from ISO 200 (ISO 25) is a good starting point for 092 and similar filters.

I have used SFX with a 715 nm filter (similar to 092); metering at 25 ISO is a nice starting point, but as htmlguru4242 says, if you want to be sure, bracket +/- 1 or 2 stops. And make notes. You can learn from those. Time of day, subject, it all has influence for IR. I'm still learning myself...
    Hm, after posting this and shutting down my PC, I thought... iso 200 minus 4 stops is not iso 25, but iso 12. I guess I measure at iso 12, then. But I'll check my notes when I have a chance.

Anyway, I like SFX-200 better than Rollei IR-400; ISO 200 (no filter) -> ISO 12 (with filter) for SFX is better than ISO 400 (no filter) -> ISO 3 or 6 (with filter) for Rollei IR-400. It's the difference between *maybe* shooting *without* tripod and *certainly* *requiring* a tripod.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Holga

Resurrecting an old question - iso rating Ilford SFX

Howdy,
    I´m trying to figure out how to rate my SFX film when used with a B+W 091 (dark red) filter. It reduces light by three stops if I remember correctly. WIll I be fine by handling it as a 25 ISO film when used with this filter or am I way off here? I'm really excited about really shooting film seiously again, but want to make sure I'm not totally off on the basics.

Any thoughts and comments welcome, cheers!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    An ISO of 25 sounds right to me for your filter but you will get little or no IR effect. You need to get the 092, 89B, R72 or Ilford's own SFX filter, all are 695nm.

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With an 89B, 12 ISO works for me with SFX and 25 ISO with Rollei 400. Efke 820 is more like 3 and so curly that it is a pain.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin