Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,859   Posts: 1,583,122   Online: 908

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

physautotype my first go

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishies...ok/2086062243/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishies...ok/2086023553/

This is an utter swine to photograph well but it's actually quite detailed. I think I overexposed this one. I made a nice enlarged positive from this picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishies...7600504224851/
    and using Howard Efner's post on the Bostick & Sullivan forums, I used about 1 gram of violin rosin (student grade £1.99) and dissolved it in 100ml Methylated Spirit (purple, bought from ironmongers for £2.39). I used about 2ml poured onto a clean, dry piece of 4x6inch glass (from a clip frame, surprisingly nice milled edges too! 4pack of clip frames £1.99) and let it dry overnight. Then I put my enlarged positive on top of the plate with some mylar (from some christmas packaging a few years ago)between the positive and the plate to help prevent sticking (and it did get sticky/tacky). Put it under my philips facial tanner for 5.5 hours, took it out, noticed there was a bit of a ghost image on it. Made a little "fume box" out of a tupperware-type box, some bits of cardboard tubing as plate supports and a glass ashtray of white spirit in the middle of the 4 plate supports. Developed it for about 20minutes, although i didn't see much change after 5 minutes.
    It just looks like a piece of frosted glass if it's sitting on a table but once you pick it up and hold it up to the light, it's amazing. The rosin particles scatter the light so if you hold it right up to a light, you get a shimmery rainbow effect (and a negative image. to view the positive image you hold the plate at an angle and have a dark-ish background to view it through).

This is a really simple, albeit a bit long on the exposure times, process and there really should be more people out there playing with this! The materials are so readily available especially if you're as lucky as me and have a musical instrument shop within walking distance. There's a few things I want to fiddle with... I think I have slightly too much rosin in my mixture because my scales can't accurately weigh 1g, I need to learn how to coat plates a bit better, need to try to do less exposure time, etc, but I still have another 3 pieces of glass to do all that with.

Can't tell I'm excited about this stuff, huh?
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    very cool!! congratulations!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh fiddlesticks. I did a perfectly coated plate lastnight to try again, I got everything set up, noticed the mylar I used yesterday had rosin stuck on it, decided to try some plastic from those plastic paper pockets.. well that totally wrinkled up under the very slightly heat produced by the UV light bank and gave an awful orangepeel effect to the plate and ruined it totally. Really really peeved. I guess i should go out and get some mylar/acetate today when I go to the art store :rolleyes:
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow. The pictures aren't easy to see (which is understandable), but the visible bits look positively amazing! How contrasty/ easy to see is the image in reality?

I'm going to have to try this, as I certainly have more than enough violin rosin hanging around.

Do you have a link to the post on the Bostick&Sullivan forums that you mentioned? (Though I suppose I should go searching myself).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    http://bostick-sullivan.invisionzone...p?showtopic=58
    Apparently you should use the light coloured kinds and, just my opinion (not tried it) i'd avoid the fancy rosins with gold dust and stuff in them It's not hard to see the image once you have it in the right place held up to the light (so it looks like a positive). It's really quite impressive. Bruce in Australia on here first posted photos of one a few months ago which got me interested in it. He posted in the above thread as well if you want to see his photos. His are much more impressive than mine!
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good try heather, looks like you are on the right track, today i bought some Piranito brand rosin, made in germany, its in a small block has the colour of honey.
    I plan to clean some of my lavender oil plates and try the rosin just for fun.
    This rosin is really sticky compared to lavender oil
    Last edited by brucej; 12-07-2007 at 10:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yeah the violin rosin looks like and breaks apart like a boiled sweetie too. I try to break it up while holding it in the cloth that comes with it then weigh out by shaking out the pieces onto a piece of paper on my scale.
    I've really had some setbacks and haven't gotten an image since the first one. First it seemed like the plates were overheating (after I bought proper 180micron acetate) so I put a fan on the contact printing frame and UV unit, that helped, but the acetate I bought appears to be blocking the UV. I just had a scrap piece of acetate like from toy packaging for the first one. So at the moment there's a plate with the old piece of acetate inbetween the positive and the plate underneath my UV light. Only got about 3 hours on it yesterday so am going to give it another 2 today then see what I get.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I made a 1% w/v mix of the rosin in meths, and painted it on a glass plate, gee its thick when dried, the glass was very frosty, much more than my lavender oil mix.
    I used meths in a squeeze bottle to force fume devolop the plate in about 100 micro seconds, my first impression with out trying a contact print in the sun is MAYBE a 1% rosin mix is too thick, as the plate had some clear areas and some still frosty, it took a large amount of fumes to clear them almost completely
    Last edited by brucej; 12-08-2007 at 08:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yeah I should point out that I do get an image but the overall plate, if it is sitting on a table for example, is frosted even after the development I gave it. I didn't develop with meths though - i used white spirit. I also poured the plate (pour 2ml in the middle of the 4x6 plate and tilt it until it covers the plate, let excess drip off one corner and wipe off the underside); I never thought of brushing it on. I think last night was the first time in the last week that I wasn't pouring plates but only because I had clothes drying above the bathtub where I usually work. I might try to coat plates again and see if I can get this physautotype stuff working again. I'm wondering if I have to mix up fresh solution or something because I've really not had a plate work since that first one
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post

This is a really simple, albeit a bit long on the exposure times, process and there really should be more people out there playing with this! The materials are so readily available

Can't tell I'm excited about this stuff, huh?
    Well said, Akki, and bravo for your efforts! Keep at it and I wish you alot of fun and success.

Best,

Christopher

.. .. ..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin