Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,882   Posts: 1,520,512   Online: 814

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    "Platinum & Palladium Printing"- Dick Arentz

"The Book of Pyro"- Gordon Hutchings

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i too love Dick's book, but i hate it too.

I have the 1st version, and it has a lot of Great info but it also has lots of poorly designed charts...simple things made complicated :-(

Great info though, maybe it's me?

Corey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How about a view camera magazine subscription, that might be a nice little present...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here is a review I did of my three favorite books: http://www.visionlandscapes.com/Arti...spx?Article=11. All landscape photography books.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by boyooso View Post
    i too love Dick's book, but i hate it too.

I have the 1st version, and it has a lot of Great info but it also has lots of poorly designed charts...simple things made complicated :-(

Great info though, maybe it's me?

Corey
    I have the 2nd edition, reported to be better, but I can't say so personally, never having the first.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want to do Pt/Pd, you should have both the Arentz book AND the Sullivan/Weese volume on your shelf. Dick Arentz' book is very helpful for diving in to the deep detail and the profoundly technical, if you want to go down that route. Not necessary, but it is always a good refresher to go back and see where you can improve on your process. Having seen Dick's prints in person, I put his work as a gold standard against which to measure. The Sullivan/Weese book is also a classic, as it makes the process simpler and less intimidating. I had the good fortune to learn from Carl Weese, and he made it very straightforward in person - it really is not any more complicated than silver printing - about the same number of overall variables, just different.

I'll put in another mention for Coming In To Focus, the Christopher James book, the Farber book, and also, "Primitive Photography" by Alan Greene. Another book more folks should have is The Care of Photographs (I think thats the title) by Sigfried Rempel. It is always a good idea to have a reference for how to handle different kinds of photographic materials, especially if we collect antiques. And who among us doesn't have at least one tintype or dag floating around the house? And those old cabinet cards with the albumen prints of our essentially anonymous great-great aunt whatserface?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    IS Mckeown's book on old cameras worth the price?

I have McBroom's and at the time I bought probably worth the money but I see it has not been reprinted in a more current form that I know of.

How do any of you rank the cluster of books out there, that you know of, on old cameras?
    Including all categories from: history, current value, technical details, etc.

From best to just average or not worth it.

The book stores here in Minnesota used to have quite an array of tech. style photo-books, but now it is either the general--how to take pictures-or-digital, with few exceptions.

Bobby
    MOD. PLEASE REMOVE THIS POST AND THE ONE IT QUOTES AS i WAS NOT PAYING ATTENTION WHEN i POSTED IT AND IT DOES NOT BELONG HERE.
    THANKS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin