Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,420   Online: 714

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Recommended books

i know there's probably a lot of websites on the topics, but christmas is coming and my family wants me to make a shopping list. considering the only photographic equipment in budget for them would be to get me books, that's what i'm focusing on. i'm just wondering what books you guys have used over the years that you would recommend (that can be semi-easily obtained, but if not, i could find myself with some work in the future) for alternative processes. i'm specifically looking for screen-printing, photo etching, polaroid transfers, gum bichromate, kallitype and platinum printing, BUT i would consider many other types and experiment lots. i've only been doing photography for 8 years and work in 35mm and medium format (and if luck and money get together anytime soon, 4x5 large format). the budget is flexible.

thanks in advance -jordan...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just to mention one of many books, Coming into Focus, edited by John Barnier is really great. It deals with a lot of different processes including some of the ones mentioned by you, and then some.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beyond Monochrome and Way Beyond Monochrome both have some good stuff in them. I also like Coming Into Focus.

Christopher James' "Book of Alternative Photographic Processes" is probably the most complete, and up to date book out there. At least that's my opinion.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana Sullivan View Post
    Christopher James' "Book of Alternative Photographic Processes" is probably the most complete, and up to date book out there.
    I would second this, at least as far as up to date. You might also seek out a used copy of William Crawford's 'The Keepers of Light.' It was one of the first 'modern' alt processes book. It also features a truly excellent treatise on print syntax that draws on the classic in that field -- William M. Ivins's 'Prints and Visual Communication.'

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

keepers

regardles everyone should own a copy of the keepers of light as it is a wonderful book and still relevant.....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    regardles everyone should own a copy of the keepers of light as it is a wonderful book and still relevant.....
    Best, Peter
    You beat me to it, Peter; I've been thinking of saying that since yesterday. If I could only take two books with me to a desert island, The Keepers of Light would surely be one of them. (The other would probably be Emerson's Essays.) KOL is full of great information about many different processes, and since gum is my process, I'll add that it still seems to me the most useful source for information about gum printing. I learned how to print gum from Crawford, and he taught me well. I think the key to providing useful and timeless information is to convey general principles that readers can then apply in a variety of circumstances, rather than specific recipes that perform well only under a narrow set of conditions.
    Katharine

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Katharine Thayer View Post
    You beat me to it, Peter; I've been thinking of saying that since yesterday. If I could only take two books with me to a desert island, The Keepers of Light would surely be one of them. (The other would probably be Emerson's Essays.) KOL is full of great information about many different processes, and since gum is my process, I'll add that it still seems to me the most useful source for information about gum printing. I learned how to print gum from Crawford, and he taught me well. I think the key to providing useful and timeless information is to convey general principles that readers can then apply in a variety of circumstances, rather than specific recipes that perform well only under a narrow set of conditions.
    Katharine
    KOL is by far the best book ever published on alternative printing processes. And not just for the process information, but also for the aesthetic foundation and history of pictorial printing processes.

The book by Christopher James is excellent, as in Coming into Focus. Richard Farber's book is also very good, though it does not get mentioned much any more.

Sandy King

Shooter
    35mm
    IS Mckeown's book on old cameras worth the price?

I have McBroom's and at the time I bought probably worth the money but I see it has not been reprinted in a more current form that I know of.

How do any of you rank the cluster of books out there, that you know of, on old cameras?
    Including all categories from: history, current value, technical details, etc.

From best to just average or not worth it.

The book stores here in Minnesota used to have quite an array of tech. style photo-books, but now it is either the general--how to take pictures-or-digital, with few exceptions.

Bobby

Shooter
    Multi Format

recommended books

I have several books on 'alternative processes' and my favourite is one from U.K. SPIRITS of SALTS (a working guide to old photographic processes).
    by Randall Webb & Martin Reed.
    Reason: very easy to follow, well laid out, very simple explanations of dangerous chemicals, a 'shopping list' for each process, also a long list via a chart of best combinations of papers/processes.
    AURUM PRESS 1999

Also... "The Book of Alternative Photographic Processes" Christopher James
    This is an exhaustive survey with 19 chapters covering anything from plastic camera use to transfers to gum bichromate to ziatype.

Both these books also give good 'insider' tips to limit wasting time, good money saving options and both have many relevant examples of the processes.
    I've used Keepers of Light too, I find these others much easier to understand, they are more up-to-date with materials which are currently available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin