Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,066   Online: 1010

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mike -

I'm looking at RISD, MICA and Tyler. I'm fully expecting to have an entirely new portfolio by the time I graduate. It'll still be alt-process heavy, but I know I have other ideas I want to explore beyond what I'm working on now... I'll have wet-plate and dags under my belt in addition to the film/silver-gelatin/platinum-palladium/cyanotype I already do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post
    :::brief hijack:::

Your work in alt. media will go far into getting you into grad. school. Be warned though - there is this idea that the portfolio that got you *in* to grad. school shouldn't be the one that gets you *out*. Sucks, kind of, but it's something to think about.
    And my program is so fast paced that working full time plus class means there is no chance for me to work in the alt processes. 20 new print every 3 weeks. That's just one of the classes. I don't really think I like this method, but I'm 1/2 done and once I've got the degree I can do what I want so you just kinda suck it up.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the guys in my grad program is doing wet plate and albumen at the same time. Pretty intense. I told him he could work out the bugs and then I'd jump on his bandwagon. In return I get to teach him how to tie his shoes.

Pretty fair trade I think.

Those programs you're looking at would give you some great experience. Keep us posted where you get accepted. Your future alt. portfolio sounds fabulous.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ummmm, not such a positive response as I had hoped, obviously a mistake on my part to have posted it!

I think it would be useful if I explained more as to the driver behind the 'working essay title'. I have been studying photography here in the UK for 2 1/2 years now, and in my year I am the only person who uses alt processes (Cyanotypes and Salt Prints - I have self taught myself these processes). I'm pretty certain that no one else has done so in recent years past or in current years 1 and 2. The majority of work is very conceptual in its content and possibly not quite so heavily crafted. I have on several occassions when planning projects or on submitting work be told that its rather amateurish or out dated, nonetheless I have a massive interest in this field of photography and so press on. I find the craft of photography fascinating and so my work has a high technical quality to it, which then under pins the works context.

This at times makes me feel as though I am working in a vacum, in doing so it has raised a significant concern as to whether I am misguided in pursuing my interest in this field. It makes you think, maybe the area of photography I enjoy is not as valid as an art form as say the more contemporary styles. Thus, I decided to use my third year extended essay and consider this concern, the driver being my own underlaying concerns.

Of course, from what I can gather the art market/scene in the UK is vastly different than that in the USA. So, maybe it does appear to be a naive question to those in the US. Here in the UK, or at least my part of the UK I do generally feel that I am working in isolation. Hence the question.

Oh well, I thought I'd ask the question. You never know I might have got a useful response or two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alt process is only a technique. Whether or not someone who uses it is producing so-called 'valid' art really depends on the depth of the thought and consideration that goes into choosing what the art is supposed to communicate. I think the question as posed is sort of a 'straw-man' approach, and is likely to lead to a rhetorical dead end.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UKJohn View Post
    Oh well, I thought I'd ask the question. You never know I might have got a useful response or two.
    Actually, you got quite a few useful responses, the most useful one is probably the realization that it wasn't a good question to start with.

Sorry to say, but you're not alone in the world doing cyanotypes. The sample you have used to gauge their artworld-currency is too small.

Oh, and cyanotypes and salt prints are British inventions, by the way! The first is from William Herschel, that fine fellow who discovered fixer, and the second is from Fox Talbot, that equally fine fellow who discovered the negative-positive process.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    mhv,

Thanks for the sarcasm, it's most constructive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    John-

There are plenty of resources out there in the UK for folks doing alt process practices. Bostick & Sullivan maintain a UK office for supplying alt-process materials. There's the Siderotype Gallery down in Brighton (http://www.siderotype.com/) that publishes Mike Ware's books on Cyanotype, Platinum/Palladium, and Chrysotype printing. I think your sense of isolation is coming from not looking very hard or very far for help with it.

I also think you're finding sarcasm where none exists, because you got an answer you didn't like hearing. Some alternative processes are harder to practice in Europe than they are in the US due to market size and environmental regulations, but that does not mean people do not find ways to do them - there is a very active community of wet-plate collodion practitioners in Europe, for example, which is a much more obscure and difficult practice than cyanotype or salt printing. While most alt-process printers do not make a living from their art practice, that's true for most artists regardless of their medium. And, as I said before, if technological currency were the sole requirement for artistic relevance, then oil paint, stone carving, violin music, and silk screen printing would have no audience. All of those media still have vibrant followings and active practitioners producing new work in those media.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UKJohn View Post
    mhv,

Thanks for the sarcasm, it's most constructive.
    Excuse me for it, but I was just responding to your own. I had been hoping that the actual information I gave you was useful, but it seems you prefer to ignore it. Not everyone is here to please you. Good luck with the BA.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I also think you're finding sarcasm where none exists, because you got an answer you didn't like hearing.
    Me too. In fact, I'm a bit put off by the attitude. So many times people (often students) post messages like this with the expectation that they will get "the answer" rather than suggestions and things they need to think about. You appear to be confusing sarcasm with things you need to think about and address in your thesis.

I, too, seek further understanding of what you mean by 'valid' - in the purely artistic sense, the executability sense, or the marketability sense. Three aspects you might consider addressing. There could be three different types of answers.

These are things to think about; if you want answers (or my impression of what the answer is)... you'll need to give me a piece of your degree. That IS sarcasm!

Good luck with your studies!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin