Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,618   Online: 1152

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

In camera Alternative Processes ????

In camera Alternative Processes ????

When I first started researching “Alternative Photographic Processes” a while ago,
    The words Alternative Photographic Processes means to me that the process is Non-silver and starts by Exposing a plate or coated paper in a camera,
    Developing it
    And THEN printing it or making the negative a positive.

But with most of the stuff on the net and most of the books I have seen
    The words Alternative Processes means
    “Alternative PRINTING” with an already made negative.

Is anybody actually doing the entire non-silver process in a camera and if so which process are you using?
    Thanks
    Last edited by brucej; 12-25-2007 at 10:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cuprous Oxide is light sensitive and quite fast. It is outlined in several texts on light sensitive systems. The nice thing is that it is almost orthochromatic in nature due to the color.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Terry King, the Historian for the Royal Photography Society has discovered, or re-discovered a cyanotype process that can be used in-camera. He calls it Cyanotype Rex. He described it generally in ViewCamera Magazine awhile back. One must buy his dvd to get the details.

Basically, one coats the paper with Ferric oxalate (or others have used Ferric ammonium citrate, I believe). Then it is exposed, then developed in a bath of Potassium ferricyanide.

Just a thought, but I wonder if one could incorparate the Ferric oxalate into gelatin, coat glass with it, then develop in the Potassiun ferricyanide to yield a blue and white negative for printing. If there is a toner for cyanotypes that yields a yellowish negative, then the negatives could be toned and used for other UV-exposed alt processes.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem with most alternative processes is that they are UV sensitive, not visible light sensitive and therefore distort what the human eye would see. If this is what you want, then that is fine, but if not, then it presents a problem.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kind of makes silver the natural choice eh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started another thread on Robb Kendrick who makes 8x10 tintypes from plates in camera and then processes them in his 'portable' darkroom. Several others do wet/dry plates in camera too. Do a search here to find them.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Tintypes, a type of wetplate collodion, is based on silver nitrate. A direct positive is possible, as is a negative that can be tailored to most any type of store bought silver paper, or the various alt processes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Basically, it was cuprous oxide precipitated in the dark in a peptizing polymer and then coated. Exposure was normal (blue + uv light) and development was done with sulfuric acid at about 0.1 N. The image could be fixed with sodium hypo."

PE back in 2005 you wrote this in another thread, do you mean red cuprous oxide ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, red cuprous oxide. But you have to make it in-situ. The reason is that the material you buy off the shelf is already 'fogged'. When it is made fresh, it is a much lighter yellow red.

There are a number of patents and research disclosures on this. I don't have any of the numbers though, sorry. I think that the original work was by Peter Hillson or Hillison at Kodak in the 60s. I've forgotten the spelling. Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brook View Post
    Tintypes, a type of wetplate collodion, is based on silver nitrate. A direct positive is possible, as is a negative that can be tailored to most any type of store bought silver paper, or the various alt processes.
    D'oh! You're right. My bad. Hmmm ... it doesn't really leave much left, now does it?

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 12-26-2007 at 09:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin