Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,649   Online: 839

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Very cool Daguerreotype on eBay

John Hurlock, a master Daguerreotypist and wetplate collodion photographer has one of his contemporary Daguerreotypes up for auction on eBay. It is a photograph of the Cloud Gate Sculpture (aka"The Bean") in Chicago's Millennium Park. Conceptually, I like the fact he has used the mercury dag process to image a sculpture inspired by the element Mercury. It must look amazing in person with its silver mirror surface.

Check it out. I think it is one of the coolest photographs I have seen in awhile. Wish I could afford it. I'm open to belated Christmas presents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sweet.

Wonder if the Chicago police and the artist are beating down his door right now?

Isn't this the sculpture that the originating artist has been very aggressive in trying to control imagery made of it? (I know, bad sentence)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think the park police were giving pro photographers a hard time for awhile but I wasn't aware of the artist trying to control it.

I usually don't care for images taken of architecture or sculptures because I figure the original artist already envisioned whatever the photographer might be able to record about the original piece. Why copy something already created? But in this case, the whole metal image/plate adds a layer of creativity. It's like the city has become Mercury. Twice. Its very, very cool. The perfect object to make a Daguerreotype.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin