Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,758   Online: 1103
      
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,482
    Images
    20
    I've seen some Fresson prints at the John Stevenson Gallery (now closed, I believe--I'd heard he was only doing private sales now), and it is a beautiful process, only available from Fresson. I'd heard it involved sawdust, which is something we don't get to use so often.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  2. #12
    Marc Akemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor area, Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,267
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I've seen some Fresson prints at the John Stevenson Gallery (now closed, I believe--I'd heard he was only doing private sales now), and it is a beautiful process, only available from Fresson. I'd heard it involved sawdust, which is something we don't get to use so often.
    I think you're right about the JS Gallery, David. I found the website but there's nothing really new there. Looks like their last exhibition ended in May of '07. The Fresson prints you saw may very well have been Sheila Metzner's whose print I mentioned in the original post. For what it's worth, here is that print:
    http://designarchives.aiga.org/entry.cfm/eid_10530

    AllanR and David, you're both correct about the abrasive process of the development. According to Arnow's book, "...soluble gelatine and pigment are actually abraded away from the support by a soution of water and fine sawdust." She goes on to say, "True to the original motive for the creation of Fresson printing, no transfer takes place; the image is developed right on the support. Therefore the image is not reversed."

    Well, if the process is proprietary and the essence secret, as 'jovo' mentioned (I still don't know names yet, sorry jovo), then perhaps I should leave well enough alone and just take in and enjoy a Fresson whenever I see one.

    Thanks for everyone's help.

    Marc

  3. #13
    Akki14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,873
    Images
    210
    Odd; I only glanced over the technics page on it but it sounds like gum bichromate process to me, or at least they mention exposure to UV light and washing out dichromate stains. You can use a brush or the like to loosen the unexposed paint in gum bichromate process as well, so the sawdust/abrasive thing doesn't sound that out of the question either.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

  4. #14
    clay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Asheville, North Carolina
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,124
    Images
    8
    I heard Art's lecture at APIS, and he is getting close on his recreation of a Fresson-like direct carbon process. It sounds daunting. He described an emulsion composed of both gelatin and gum along with the pigment. And apparently the whole coating process is very sensitive to temperature - it sounded like his version had an ideal band of temperature that was about 2-3 degrees wide. He had some examples with him, and they were comparable to the Fresson examples, with just slight differences in texture and tonal smoothness. Art has apparently either applied for, or gotten patents on his process.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.


    http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,651
    There was a rather extensive, recent discussion of the Fresson process among the alt photo process group (a ListServe discussion group). You may be able to search their archives.
    Last edited by doughowk; 01-02-2008 at 09:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  6. #16
    Marc Akemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor area, Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,267
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    There was a rather extensive, recent discussion of the Fresson process among the alt photo process group (a ListServe discussion group). You may be able to search their archives.
    This is what I found so far on the 'alt photo process group':
    http://tinyurl.com/ysbv5h
    Thanks for the link Doug.

    Marc

  7. #17
    Marc Akemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor area, Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,267
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Odd; I only glanced over the technics page on it but it sounds like gum bichromate process to me, or at least they mention exposure to UV light and washing out dichromate stains. You can use a brush or the like to loosen the unexposed paint in gum bichromate process as well, so the sawdust/abrasive thing doesn't sound that out of the question either.
    Yep, I agree. In Arnow's book, the the Gum Bichromate Print and the Fresson Print are both listed in the chapter entitled 'Pigment 'Processes'. Other processes listed in this chapter are carbon, carbro, oil, bromoil, dusting-on, anthracotype, nigrographic and the true-to-scale print.

    Marc

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    527
    Images
    11
    Personally, I've always thought that Fresson prints look pretty crappy compared with Dye Transfers (or even Cibachromes).

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    133
    Here some literature about Fresson Printing:

    -The Direct Carbon or Fresson Process (The Photographic Journal: May/June 1978) by C. Badrinathan, MSc, PhD, ARPS and C. Rajagopal, FRPS, APSA.

    -The Fresson Process by Tom Champion. Arizona State University 1986

    -The Fresson Process. The Roland Collection of Films on Art. 30 min VHS video.

    Kind regards,

    Jeroen

  10. #20
    Marc Akemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor area, Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,267
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudar View Post
    Here some literature about Fresson Printing:

    -The Direct Carbon or Fresson Process (The Photographic Journal: May/June 1978) by C. Badrinathan, MSc, PhD, ARPS and C. Rajagopal, FRPS, APSA.

    -The Fresson Process by Tom Champion. Arizona State University 1986

    -The Fresson Process. The Roland Collection of Films on Art. 30 min VHS video.

    Kind regards,

    Jeroen
    Hartelijk dank, Jeroen.



    Marc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin