Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,455   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fresson Process -

Does anyone here on APUG work with the Fresson process? Ever since I saw Sheila Metzner's elegant photograph, "Uma, Patou Dress and Hat", a few years ago, I've been interested in the process but finding out how to do it is a little difficult, as is, apparently, the process itself.

Yesterday, I found an excellent copy of the "Handbook of Alternative Photographic Processes" by Jan Arnow. In the book under "Pigment Processes" is a description on how to do "The Fresson Print"! I haven't read through it yet, but I was wondering if anyone here has experience with this color alternative process?

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Akemann; 01-01-2008 at 02:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: His 'enter' before I was done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contact the folks at Bostick & Sullivan. Someone gave a presentation on his efforts with the Fresson process at the 2005 APIS gathering, but I do not remember his name.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    May be here:
    http://www.atelier-fresson.com/technique.htm
    but it's in French…

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing I forgot to mention is that the actual details of the Fresson process are still a closely guarded secret, held by the folks who still make Fresson prints. Here is their link:

http://www.atelier-fresson.com/home.htm

The presentation at APIS was about this gentleman's efforts to develop a similar process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here some Fresson Quadrichromie prints they made for me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fresson-1web.jpg   Fresson-2web.jpg  
    Last edited by Mudar; 01-01-2008 at 03:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by payral View Post
    May be here:
    http://www.atelier-fresson.com/technique.htm
    but it's in French…
    Thank you! Through your link, I found it in English:
    http://www.atelier-fresson.com/technics.htm

:-)

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenR View Post
    One thing I forgot to mention is that the actual details of the Fresson process are still a closely guarded secret, held by the folks who still make Fresson prints. Here is their link:

http://www.atelier-fresson.com/home.htm

The presentation at APIS was about this gentleman's efforts to develop a similar process.
    I think Art Chakalis may be the person who did the presentation on the Fresson process at the 2005 APIS. All I could find so far on Google regarding the 2005 APIS gathering was this little tidbit: "Art Chakalis – Will give us an update on the secrets of the Fresson Process." Nothing more. Looks like I'll be doing a little research tonight.

It seems that people are dabbling with this process, or, at least discussing it. I'm just wondering where Jan Arnow came up with her version of the Fresson process? I suppose I could try to find her and ask.

Also, the book I just purchased for $17, and is the spark that started this thread, ("Handbook of Alternative Photographic Processes" by Jan Arnow) is selling elsewhere on the web from about $75US to $350! I nice late Christmas present. :-)

....the search for more info continues. Thanks for the replies thus far!

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Akemann; 01-01-2008 at 04:50 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Changed the word "print" for "process".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudar View Post
    Here some Fresson Quadrichromie prints they made for me!
    Wow! Pretty cool! They don't make prints for just anybody! Thanks for showing your Fressons! How many have they done for you?

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I first saw Fresson prints at an AIPAD show a few years ago. I was very impressed! But, as mentioned above, the process is a proprietary one and it's essence is secret.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmSprocket View Post
    I think Art Chakalis may be the person ...
    Yes, Art Chakalis is the name that I was trying to remember.

As for dabbling in the process, from what I remember of Mr. Chakalis's presentation this is a very complex process. The one thing that really caught my attention was that development is an abrasive process, with a slurry containing abrasive material being flowed over the exposed print at the correct flow rates & temperatures. The equipment involved was all designed and built my Mr. Chakalis. Since he was working with a monochrome emulsion, I imagine the complexity would increase by a couple orders of magnitude for color images.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin