Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,406   Online: 952

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

How many people in the world make wet plate photos on a regular basis?

Hi All,

I'm a teacher and one of my students asked me how many people in the world make true wet plate photos on a regular basis. I had no idea, so I defer to your wisdom. 100? 1,000? 10,000?

What's your best guess?

Thanks...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Several hundred in this forum: http://www.collodion.com/forum/default.asp might just be a small sample though..

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've been trying (unsucessfully) to join that forum. I sent the moderator an e-mail as per the instructions, but I have not heard anything back.

Thanks for the reply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by periclimenes View Post
    I've been trying (unsucessfully) to join that forum. I sent the moderator an e-mail as per the instructions, but I have not heard anything back.

Thanks for the reply.
    Quinn is a busy man. Give him a little time. If it has been a week, ping him again. He'll get it done.

And enjoy the forum when you get in!
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My guess would be less than 1000 worldwide making plates on a regular (or seasonal) basis. I think a lot of the members of both collodion forums haven't picked it up yet. Mosts of the posts are made by the same core group so there are a lot of lurkers who don't practice the process yet. Maybe 30-40 folks show up at John Coffer's annual Tintype Jamboree. He's holding 6 or so workshops/year with 4 in each workshop. Then there's the Ostermans, Will Dunniway, Eric Taubman, Kerik, Michael Mazzeo, Quinn Jacobson and few others holding workshops on a less regular basis. So, the ranks aren't growing too fast though there has been an acceleration lately.

In Michigan, I know of myself and 5 others who currently make plates, and 2 retired from it. I'd bet there are more, but I don't know how many or where they are in the state.
    Last edited by smieglitz; 01-13-2008 at 08:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i am going to join some day soon.....i am just tryingto get my head around VDB and kallitype bofroe i dive in.
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I shoot wet plate in formats ranging from 5 x 7, full plate, 10 x 12 and when I refuse to take my medication 20 x 24. Gotta go, nurse ratcheds coming down the hall.

Zebra

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I will be adding one more to the total as soon as I receive Quinn's book and order the chemicals. He did take a week or two to get back to me about joining the forum, but considering he tracked me down to PM me on APUG and has to set up all the accounts manually I'd say that's not a bad turn-around.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm adding wet-plate to my repertoire this year also - just a matter of scheduling time with an instructor.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd love to, but until I have a properly ventilated area to do it in, I will stick to reading about it.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin