Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,495   Online: 681

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The latest batch of Centennial POP we received has an odd coating issue. We are also waiting to hear from CAW as to the likelihood of continued production. Apparently the entire run of POP has the problem, which means it will probably be 2-3 months before any is available on the North American continent. Sorry, folks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ccstearns;
    Thus, it seems they are trouble shooting some QC issues. Strangely, I was comforted by this.
    That is comforting in an odd way. They wouldn't bother trouble shooting a dead product, I wouldn't think. I would be seriously depressed if this paper went away. I will buy a bunch when it does come available again. I'm sure I can freeze it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    That is comforting in an odd way. They wouldn't bother trouble shooting a dead product, I wouldn't think. I would be seriously depressed if this paper went away. I will buy a bunch when it does come available again. I'm sure I can freeze it.
    I was under the impression that it doesnt freeze. It doesnt keep at all well - my last batch (from summer) has gone off, blue blotches and so on (I made the mistake of stocking up in two sizes, and not using the larger ones until later).

Need to make my own, and some more albumen paper.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Chicago albumen works says refrigeration or freezing is recommended for long term storage.

http://www.albumenworks.com/directions.html
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, everyone. It is a Kentmere product according to the CAW website so there could be issues with QC and moving production as several people pointed out. When it is available, I will definitely lay in a supply of it and freeze it as CAW recommends, rather than take a chance on losing it. Sounds like several of us are thinking along the same lines!

Thanks again to all who responded.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I inquired with Kentmere last June. This is the reply I got from Melanie Wilson. It may be helpful, but could be superseded by recent developments.

qoute:

Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for your recent enquiry. Please be advised that we produce the
    Printing Out Paper annually normally during January - March. In addition
    to Chicago Albumen, there are a number of distributors that we produce
    this for within Europe, however in 2007, the distributors were mainly
    based in the UK. I have provided details of some of the distributors who
    purchased this in 2007, so that you may contact them and enquire on
    stock availability.

Silverprint (UK) +44 207 6200844
    Retro Photographics (UK) +44 1869 240345
    Foto Riegler (Austria) +43 747261809

It would be worthwhile contacting me in January 2008 when we commence
    our next production of POP as we would be able to advise you then if we
    were in a position to issue some directly to you or advise you of the
    nearest stockist / distributor to you.

Kind regards

Melanie Wilson - Sales Office Manager
    >Kentmere Photographic Limited
    Tel: + 44 (0) 1539 821365
    Mobile: + 44 (0) 7941 347767
    Fax: + 44 (0) 1539 821399

unquote

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Friends,

Just saw on the Bostick & Sullivan website that expected availability for Centennial POP is May 2009.

Guess we won't be using this one for awhile!
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At Silverprint we have a small amount of 8x10" & 12x16" POP, but don't expect this will last long.

It seems Harman are still investigating the manufacturing options, and a strong possibility is a last large batch being made at the Staveley (Kentmere) factory before moving manufacturing to Mobberley. Test makings for this last production run are being made at the moment, and assuming the main making goes ahead, if you need it lay some stock in!

Harman are committed to keep the POP in production. However as it is many decades since an 'Ilford' POP was produced, setting up to make one on a new site, even with existing formulations is complex and will take time to get it right. It's a very tricky product, at Staveley the climatic conditions were an important factor, even the barometric pressure, so moving it 80 miles south to a new coating environment presents big problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
    Harman are committed to keep the POP in production. However as it is many decades since an 'Ilford' POP was produced, setting up to make one on a new site, even with existing formulations is complex and will take time to get it right. It's a very tricky product, at Staveley the climatic conditions were an important factor, even the barometric pressure, so moving it 80 miles south to a new coating environment presents big problems.
    Though I suspect it may cost more than the 5/- plus 3d postage (five shillings and thruppence in all) per gross (144 sheets) of Cabinet size paper cost in 1897...

Bob.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Though I suspect it may cost more than the 5/- plus 3d postage (five shillings and thruppence in all) per gross (144 sheets) of Cabinet size paper cost in 1897...

Bob.
    I suspect that adjusted for inflation etcetera it will only cost a small fraction of what it did in 1897.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin