Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,916   Online: 1022

Shooter
    Medium Format

Forte Polygrade and Lith

I'm considering buying a supply of Forte Polygrade as it's at a very decent price at present.

What are people's experiences with this paper and lith?

Also, in normal developer does this tone well in the old Kodak and Ilford selenium?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    I'm considering buying a supply of Forte Polygrade as it's at a very decent price at present.

What are people's experiences with this paper and lith?

Also, in normal developer does this tone well in the old Kodak and Ilford selenium?
    It liths to a cold black and cool putty colour Gary. I like it. It tones OK (cool)
    Haven't toned it much apart from Lith
    Tim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here is a sample of one image done with Polygrade. I think it is a nice alternative when you want something a bit more subtle (color-wise). My question is what will serve as a good replacement now that polygrade is no longer produced.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If the stock is large, perhaps the seller would let you take a small sheet to test for fog. I have found about half of the Forte Polygrade I pick second hand is fogged. Not so with the graded Fortezo papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had no fogging issues and have been using ALOT of polygrade for the last few months. But maybe I got lucky with my batches..(?). At any rate - I can't tell you about lith/toning response- but I can tell you all about toning with it. It's very sensitive to toning - and will yield very strong color changes with most toners. Selenium toning tends toward the red, if anything - and you have to be careful to pull early - not to take it too far. Most sepia type toners will give you a very vigorous response - again- exercise prudence not to get too 'cartoony' an effect. I've been playing with it with various sepia, titanium, and bleach/split toning processes (selenium and thiourea dioxide).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    Here is a sample of one image done with Polygrade. I think it is a nice alternative when you want something a bit more subtle (color-wise). My question is what will serve as a good replacement now that polygrade is no longer produced.
    Where is your link for the image?

I will buy a few boxes of the polygrade for a forthcoming project. After that I will look for anything that takes my fancy. I don't really like the very warm blacks associated with WT papers, although Kentmere WT is the exception.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    Where is your link for the image?
    Sorry about that:

http://flickr.com/photos/fotofish/2100054268/

It is also in my gallery together with other lith images.

Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great pictures Mark, in some photos there isn't much difference between the Kentmere and the Forte PWT...thanks for the examples.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin