Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,599   Online: 840

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ty G
    Yes, I've used starting fluid. Hold can upside down and spray to release propellant without liquid, then poke a hole in the top. It works, yet I don't use it anymore. It is usually over 50% heptane which you cannot seperate from the ether.

Ty Guillory
    www.tystintypes.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Poking a hole in the top of the can may lead to disaster. I would highly recommend against it. A spark can really ruin your day. Chemicals like ether and potassium cyanide are nothing to be taken lightly. Use proper techniques and a lot of common sense when working with these chemicals.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello All,

I have used ether in spray cans and canisters that look a bit like a hand-held propane cylinder. The spray cans one sprays in the air breather of a diesel engine on cold mornings. A very little to get them going. The cylinders were on a diesel rotary-vane air compressor. The spray cans are on the shelf in stores here (Fort Smith, NT, Canada), but IIRC it is far from pure and has stabilizers added - and is in a metal can. I think I have one in the back shed - from a sand blasting operation (that was a museum conservation project). When it is cold and one's engine has no glow plugs, this what one uses. In the 1950's ether parties were popular in the north Inter-lake area of Manitoba - don't ask. I defer to those that have used it for wet plate and have found it to work. Empirical evidence sort of trumps it here. However, as a quondam forensic toxicologist and generally fearful fellow I implore - Please be careful! One runs an ether still to get rid of some of the bad stuff - both dangerous and unwanted in analysis.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    35mm

I realize this is an old thread...

Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Sciencelab.com.....they're in Houston

Search

sciencelab.com scam

with your favorite search engine

you may change your mind about ordering from these criminals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    www.chemsavers.com

You have to sign a letter of intent, but do not need a business license to my knowledge. This is a link directly to their photo-grade ether.

They are very good and ship very fast. I recommend them highly and buy all of my ether there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Agree with Bill, Chemsavers is great! fast shipping, good prices and very nice people.

Marek
    Marek Warunkiewicz

Have you checked the Bostick & Sullivan prices on Ether and Collodion versus Chemsavers recently?

Just say you might be a little surprised.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I assume the reference to science lab in the second post was a joke. Check the Product Availability Forum here on APUG for the thread about the company's business practices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin