Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,559   Online: 1020

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would agree that paper is everything. I had been a dedicated Kid Finish user until I discovered Cranes Platinotype. Holy socks, what a finish. The paper starts really hard with very little tooth, but the final product is so velvety you want to wear it.

By the way I've found that clearing in citric acid first, then clearing in EDTA works most effectively for me with Platinotype.

And back to the original subject...I would assume that developing in water produces such extreme contrast because there is no restrainer. Would that indicate that a more diluted "normal" developer like Potassium Oxalate or Sodium Acetate would yield higher contrast, because the restrainer would be weaker? I'm trying to draw on experience, becasue Clay's right - Pt/Pd is too expensive to experiment with.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cjarvis
    And back to the original subject...I would assume that developing in water produces such extreme contrast because there is no restrainer. Would that indicate that a more diluted "normal" developer like Potassium Oxalate or Sodium Acetate would yield higher contrast, because the restrainer would be weaker? I'm trying to draw on experience, becasue Clay's right - Pt/Pd is too expensive to experiment with.
    That is a very good question? try it with a pd print. Not as expensive...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just a suggestion:

Would experiments with Kallitype show the same effects? After all, the sensitizer and developer chemistry is similar, only the image-foming metal is different...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin