Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,599   Online: 1123

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

If anyone has a minute, could you explain a bit about what characteristics make a 'good' bromoil paper?
    Thank you,
    d

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A paper that's easy to ink for one can be difficult for another, so there's no pat answer. I prefer a supercoated paper with a semi-matte finish. Agfa MCC 118 was my all-time favorite for bromoil. Many bromoilists preferred Bergger Brom 240 when it was being produced. I found the emulsion to be too soft for my inking and I like a bit more texture on the paper's surface. Sorry - I can't answer your question. Different strokes for different folks!

Cheers,

Gene

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the reply, Gene. That makes a lot of sense. The 'different strokes' principle comes into play a lot in art! Yuh gotta love it.
    d

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i tested Agfa MCC118 today for Bromoil. Its a fantastic paper for regular prints. But in bromoil the emulsion started to loosen up an bubble some places.

A question, when your hog hair brushes looses hair during stamping, what is the best trick for removing the loose hair?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    A question, when your hog hair brushes looses hair during stamping, what is the best trick for removing the loose hair?
    I use one of those erasers that can be molded like clay. I form one end to a point and use it to life the hair.

FWIW, I have used Fomabrom Variant IV with success. I like the cream base much better than the white base that Kentmere Fineprint offers, although Fineprint works quite well with some images. I have also used Ilford MGIV (matt) though it should be noted that you cannot get as many pages to properly bleach and tan as other papers - I keep things at six to eight 8x10" sheets with about a 6x8" print area per liter of bleach. With other papers I can get at least ten sheets through a liter of bleach with no difficulty whatever.

Cheers -

george

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin