Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,541   Online: 860

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Suitable Bromoil papers

I'm currently looking a for a good bromoil paper that will ink easily and is suitable for beginners. As every paper that i have seen, seems to be discountinued and unavailable.
    Also where i could buy the paper from.

Thanks for any help Shakey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1) Find Gene_Laughter here on APUG.
    2) Kentmere Fineprint? Is that still in production?
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not sure that any of today's papers will "ink easily." That's tough to define and the "ease" varies so much with each individual and their technique and expertise at inking. There's no "magic bullet" paper around.

As you live in the UK I would recommend that you contact the Bromoil Circle of Great Britain re: any bromoil demonstrations and workshops in your area. Bromoil is a tough process to learn alone and without guidance of one experienced in the process.

My current favorite favorite paper for bromoil is Kentmere Fineprint VC fine grain matt. It should be available at most photo stores in the U.K. I would think.

I hope this is of some help in answering your question.

Good luck!

Gene
    Last edited by Gene_Laughter; 04-11-2008 at 11:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Shakey The site:
    http://home.powertech.no/pervo/bromoil.htm
    contains some useful links and addresses to follow up as does:
    http://www.jamtoday.btinternet.co.uk/bromoilprocess.htm
    Hope these are of help.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks alot everyone, just ordered some Kentmere Fineprint VC finegrain.

I had recently bought the Bromoil, A Foundation Course, however many of the papers it listed were discontinued like kentmere art document and as it says an old favourite with Gene, Agfa MCC 118, and Bergger Brom 240 is a little bit out opf price range at the moment. But thanks again and i do appreciate your help and that website was pretty good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Shakey, Agfa went "belly-up" and their papers are no more. Hopefully, Agfa MCC 118 will reappear this coming fall or winter under a new name. Bergger has discontinued Brom 240.

A bromoilist friend of mine just tested a Russian paper, Slavich, last week for bromoil and he was pleased with the results. Slavich is available at Freestyle here in the USA. I don't know about the dealers in the UK.

Good luck!

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
    Thanks alot everyone, just ordered some Kentmere Fineprint VC finegrain.

I had recently bought the Bromoil, A Foundation Course, however many of the papers it listed were discontinued like kentmere art document and as it says an old favourite with Gene, Agfa MCC 118, and Bergger Brom 240 is a little bit out opf price range at the moment. But thanks again and i do appreciate your help and that website was pretty good.

Shooter
    Large Format
    No sign of Slavich paper in the UK at the moment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gene -

Freestyle carries two formulations of the Slavich paper. Unibrom 160 in double and single weight and Bromoportrait 80 in double weight. The Bromoportrait has a funky, embossed silk-like texture surface. I've got some of the Bromoportrait to play with, but it wasn't with the intention of bromoil experiments. I wanted to see the texture and sure enough it is very "old school" portrait paper like. Neat stuff, kinda green in Dektol but warms nicely with selenium. Sorry for the non-bromoil digression.

Do you happen to know which version your friend was testing?
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    He tested Unibrom 160 double weight. I wasn't aware of the portrait Slavich paper until yesterday, after I had already ordered a pack of the 160, or I would have ordered both.

Thanks for the info!

Gene

Shooter
    Holga

bergger brom 240

Does anyone know any paper that compares to Bergger brom240?

I love its thickness and smooth finish for both straight silver and bromoils. Is the Lewis paper at all similar.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin