Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,428   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Having excellent results with the Stonehenge bright white. No pre-treating, with one drop of 20% Na2 in an 8x10 produces the best result so far. Digital negs are taking 600-650 units on the 26-1k. It's a great paper, coats very evenly and smoothly, is fairly heavy, so it doesn't wrinkle and has great wet strength. Definitely going to be added to our catalog.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana Sullivan View Post
    Having excellent results with the Stonehenge bright white. No pre-treating, with one drop of 20% Na2 in an 8x10 produces the best result so far. Digital negs are taking 600-650 units on the 26-1k. It's a great paper, coats very evenly and smoothly, is fairly heavy, so it doesn't wrinkle and has great wet strength. Definitely going to be added to our catalog.

Not sure what paper you mean? Is this RISING Stonhenge white?

Sandy King

This paper: http://www.legionpaper.com/stonehenge

It's simply called Stonehenge. Perhaps they've narrowed their line down to this one paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This would be the 'NEW' Stonehenge I would think. Since the Rising Mill closed (and all those good folks were put out of work) Legion did purchase the rights. Not sure if this is the same formualtion as the old Rising Stonehenge or not, but it was a nice paper. Be nice to see the name continue on another paper.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Has anyone tried the warm white?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I notice that it is available in 7 different locations just in Portland Oregon. Does that amount of availability have an impact on it's potential as a B&S product? Also we have seen that Cranes was or is using many different paper mills and the paper varied quite a lot from good to unusable. If this paper is being sold in 600 stores in the US can they be making it all in one mill to one standard?
    Dennis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Found this blog entry regarding Legion and Stonehenge.

http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2007...tonehenge.html

From what I've been told, the problem with thle Crane's 90lb cover was due the to the shearing machine that cut the paper, nothing to do with multiple factories. In fact, the Weston Diploma Parchment is made on the same line and uses the same base cotton pulp as the Cover Stock, yet it suffers none of the same problems.

Over the years we've added new products to our catalog, sometimes when we discover something new and exciting (ziatype, the Na2 process), or we fill a void by offering something that our customers have been asking about (Pictorico OHP, Hake brushes, papers).The Weston Diploma Parchment perfect was the perfect example of this second scenario, in the way that it was discovered by a long-time Platinum printer, then spread virally through the internet. Finally, I had customers asking me when I was going to start carrying it!

I see no problem in selling a common paper, just as I do with the Crane's Kid Finish, which is availalable at many Hallmark shops and most stationery stores. I offer a value-added service, though, in the fact that I will guarantee the fitness of the papers I sell for a particular use. Your local art supply isn't going to have a clue about Alt-Processes.

I want B&S to become a one-stop shop for alt-process, and part of that means carrying a wide selection of papers. We're also going to start adding more dark room equipment like trays, tongs, plastic jugs and large graduates.

Also, in the past year and a half, we've seen orders from foreign countries rise from about 10 percent of our sales to around 30 percent. Many papers that we consider common, are quite rare or completely unavailable in many spots around the world. In fact, you'd be surprised at how much Bergger BPF-200 and COT-320 I ship back to customers in France.

Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I notice that it is available in 7 different locations just in Portland Oregon. Does that amount of availability have an impact on it's potential as a B&S product? Also we have seen that Cranes was or is using many different paper mills and the paper varied quite a lot from good to unusable. If this paper is being sold in 600 stores in the US can they be making it all in one mill to one standard?
    Dennis

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana Sullivan View Post
    snipped .... I want B&S to become a one-stop shop for alt-process, and part of that means carrying a wide selection of papers. We're also going to start adding more dark room equipment like trays, tongs, plastic jugs and large graduates.... snipped.
    Dana.
    I think you all are doing a wonderful job at this.
    Always have had wonderful conversations and customer service from you all.

matt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Dana Sullivan;618381]From what I've been told, the problem with thle Crane's 90lb cover was due the to the shearing machine that cut the paper, nothing to do with multiple factories. In fact, the Weston Diploma Parchment is made on the same line and uses the same base cotton pulp as the Cover Stock, yet it suffers none of the same problems."

There is a lot of conflicting info about that and I have had discussions with Crane's people as far back as 1994 or 5 and recently a long conversation with John Zokoski who completely denies the cutter problem and said it was a bad batch of paper. He said my problem in the 90s coincides with the time Cranes quit making the paper and started hiring multiple mills to make it from various sources of cotton fiber.

The point is that you risk wasting a lot of money buying a large batch of paper you haven't tested. I think that is what Bostick and Sullivan could offer even if the paper was a tad bit more expensive. You could give it the "Dana Seal of approval" by testing batches of your papers for different processes.

B&S have been great in the past allowing people (or at least me) to return a batch of paper I couldn't get to work. But that isn't something anyone wants to do. With that batch back in the mid 90s I don't believe Dick or Melody were actually doing much printing themselves and could only offer that they hadn't heard of problems with the paper. It is great that you are a working printer.
    Dennis

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin