Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,773   Online: 1209

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have been using arches platine but I have found on the batch I got a acid bath had to be used. But it would be easier to get it if your business got it. I'm going to have to try Strathmore 500.

mike a
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had good success with Arches Hot-Pressed Watercolor, may be called Aquarelle in some markets, comes in various weights. I have tried the 90 and 140 lb weights, and like the 140 a bit better. It has a natural creamy surface, great wet strength. I use it where Platine may be too white.

For cyanotypes, I like BFK Rives White, the paper is about 90 lb, giving a good color, and clears easily.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi Fred,
    I'm glad to see someone having luck with the Arches watercolor paper for pt/pd... What sort of acid treatment, if any, are you using? I've been using a 5% citric acid bath with both 90 and 140lb for kallitypes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Colin, I have not had to do any treatment with the paper for Pt/Pd. I coat and let it air dry for an hour, or alternately blow dry, and let it sit for 10 minutes to re-absorb some humidity from the surrounding air. I am using the B&S Cold Bath developer, and I am getting a very pleasing warm tone with pure palladium.

Dug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me, Rising Stonehenge has been the most consistent and easy to clear paper for Kallitype and Pt/Pd. I bought a couple hundred sheets of the Rising Stonehenge before the mill closed, so I will be out of the market for a little while. However, the day will come when I must replenish. I will be interested to see if the new "Stonehenge" works as well for me. In fact, I should probably test now...

I have had success with Bergger Cot32, but at over 4X the price of Rising Stonehenge I will be going through the present stock of Bergger without replacing it. Arches Platine worked (not as well as Rising Stonehenge) but is expensive as well. Lenox was highly regarded by Dick Arentz in his Pt/Pd Printing book, but did not work for me at all.

Time to get on the Strathmore 500 bandwagon?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by FredW View Post
    Colin, I have not had to do any treatment with the paper for Pt/Pd. I coat and let it air dry for an hour, or alternately blow dry, and let it sit for 10 minutes to re-absorb some humidity from the surrounding air. I am using the B&S Cold Bath developer, and I am getting a very pleasing warm tone with pure palladium.
    Thanks Fred, this is very good to know. I've never actually tried not treating it, so you might have saved me a step there. Thanks again.

I've ordered up some Stonehenge white and it should be here by the end of next week. I will have it in the giant 30x44" sheets, which will make it a very nice paper for larger prints, especially since it's got a good wet strength. It has a predictable lengthwise grain to it, so the surface has a nice even texture to it. We'll offer the monster 30x44" sheet as well as the 22x30" standard sheet.

I'll also trim it down to 11x15" size sheets, for those looking to do smaller prints. Finally, I will be offering the Weston Diploma and the Stonehenge in 8x10" sheets as well.

I'll be adding Arches Platine in 22x30", 30x44" and the usual cut sizes in the next week. Once we've got all the new papers squared away, we'll be offering APUG members another chance to get one of our free paper sample packs. Last time we did that, I sent out over 160 parcels, with 30-40 of them being outside the USA!

I'll make the official announcement soon!
    Last edited by Dana Sullivan; 04-19-2008 at 08:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spellig

Tried out the Ruscombe Buxton 160gsm paper today. Talk about a gorgeous paper to work with! It coats exceptionally smoothly and evenly, and the final prints are superb. Very good blacks, with only the slightest hint of solarization. Although there is a slight amount of surface texture, the image is very crisp and clean, and there are none of the emulsion absorbtion issues you see with other papers. I give Dr. Michael Ware high marks for his work in developing this paper. Bravo! (clap, clap)

Overall, I'd rate it right up there with COT-320 in terms of image quality. I'd say it's probably my new 'favorite' paper, but the $14.50 price for a 22x30 sheet is a little frightening. I definitely want to add this to my catalog, as it would make a great 'premium' paper to go along with the 'budget' papers like Stonehenge and Weston Diploma.

Next up: Testing Fabriano Artistico.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Buxton is a pretty good paper too. For me, it prints a lot cooler in tone than platine or COT320, all other things being equal. It definitely has some deep blacks, but I think the shadows seem to block up a bit more than some other papers. This may be an exposure issue though, and maybe it just is slightly faster than those other papers. It also will allow you to make a 100% platinum print that really looks great. Of course, between the $14.50 paper and $1100/oz platinum, screw ups on a pure pt print tend to be sort of disheartening.

If you want an ultra-cheap, ultra available paper for palladium, check out Southworth 100% Rag resume paper from Office Depot. It has a watermark that makes it good only for small prints, but it makes a surprisingly nice palladium print with no additional treatment needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Sullivan View Post
    Tried out the Ruscombe Buxton 160gsm paper today. Talk about a gorgeous paper to work with! It coats exceptionally smoothly and evenly, and the final prints are superb. Very good blacks, with only the slightest hint of solarization. Although there is a slight amount of surface texture, the image is very crisp and clean, and there are none of the emulsion absorbtion issues you see with other papers. I give Dr. Michael Ware high marks for his work in developing this paper. Bravo! (clap, clap)

Overall, I'd rate it right up there with COT-320 in terms of image quality. I'd say it's probably my new 'favorite' paper, but the $14.50 price for a 22x30 sheet is a little frightening. I definitely want to add this to my catalog, as it would make a great 'premium' paper to go along with the 'budget' papers like Stonehenge and Weston Diploma.

Next up: Testing Fabriano Artistico.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Do you have some $1100 an ounce Platinum? If so, I'll take 1000 ounces right now! I just paid $2070 for an ounce!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin