Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,825   Online: 1001

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonneal View Post
    According to New York Central, all Whatman's save the Cold Press 140# are discontinued by the mill. Have you ever seen the CP and if so how rough is it?

Neal
    That's a shame -no I haven't seen the CP...

Roger...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    Roger, who is your UK source?
    Hey Kerik,

Last time I ordered it was from Ken Bromley Art Supplies - but it's been a while since I've checked their website.

Roger...

Sorry for ignoring this thread (and APUG in general), we've been extremely busy recently. Here are our latest updates:

We are now stocking Arches Platine in 22x30" and 11x15" sheets!

Light kozo paper is available again, as soon as our distributor gets another batch in. I bought the last 100 sheets they had in stock, and a customer bought all of it from me that same day!

I am holding off on the Stonehenge until I'm satisfied that it's consistent. Some batches work great after a short oxalic acid bath, others don't work regardless of what I do.

Buxton should be here in the late summer or early autumn.

Fabriano Artistico looks promising, we will probably start stocking it shortly.

If you're a fan of the Weston diploma parchment, I would recommend stocking up on it now. Southworth Mill purchased Byron Weston Papers from Cranes, and I just received a sample batch from the new mill.

To be blunt, it doesn't look promising. The new paper has a much softer surface, and the image it produces lacks a good Dmax. I haven't tried treating it with oxalic acid yet, but I'm not optimistic about it holding up well.

I have about 1500 11x14" sheets left from the old Crane's mill, so order some now if this is a paper you covet! I will check our stock of the 28x34 sheets this weekend.

I'm scrambling to find a new economically priced paper that works as nicely. I will keep everyone posted on my progress....

Shooter
    Large Format

Any update

Hi Dana,

I've received a few emails from John Zokowski of Butler-Dearden Paper wh has been trying to assure me that Weston Diploma Parchment is as good as ever, or better. Below is his last email to me. I'd love a second opinion before committing to a purchase, especially as the Aussie dollar has sunk.

The Crane Paper Company of Dalton, Massachusetts,(the firm that owned the Weston mill)
    discontinued the manufacture of paper at the Byron Weston Paper Company mill in Dalton,
    Massachusetts in ealry 2008. The only thing that the mill manufactures today is pulp. Matter of fact,
    Crane brand papers themselves, for the most part, are manufactured by other paper mills.

Crane sold the Weston brand, customer list and paper formulas to the Southworth Paper
    Company of Turners Falls, Massachusetts. The Weston products sales representative (who was with the Weston mill) is a long time business acquaintance of mine, and we collaborated to bring the paper back to
    the alt. market.

As this is a rather intense and very costly undertaking, I have been appointed the sole worldwide
    distributor of the reincarnated Weston Diploma Parchment, which has an appendage added to
    its name--Plat-Pal.

The WDP Plat-Pal is made to the same specifications as the original paper and does in fact
    respond to chemistry very nicely.

When I introduced the original Weston Diploma Parchment to the alt. community, I did so
    only after considerable scrutiny by the man (John Marcy) who originally asked me to look
    for a PT/PD sheet that he and 21ST Editions could use for their projects. At the time, an awful
    lot of people had fallen away from the alternative processes because there hadn't been any new
    papers introduced to the community in a very long time. It's ironic that Weston Diploma had
    been manufactured for some 50+ years and no one ever tested the paper for PT/PD.

Over the last several months we have had several paper trials at Southworth which John Marcy tested at his
    Northampton Photographics studio, with success finally achieved earlier this fall. John pronounced the
    paper acceptable for PT/PD and here we are.

"acceptable for PT/PD" doesn't sound great.

Regards,

Jon

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by sharperstill View Post
    Hi Dana,

I've received a few emails from John Zokowski of Butler-Dearden Paper wh has been trying to assure me that Weston Diploma Parchment is as good as ever, or better. Below is his last email to me. I'd love a second opinion before committing to a purchase, especially as the Aussie dollar has sunk.

"acceptable for PT/PD" doesn't sound great.

Regards,

Jon
    If it is the same paper it will work very well. I have confidence in John's assurances that the paper is and does what it is advertised to do.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have used the "old" WD Parchment. What I found interesting is that both sides look identical to me, but one side was definitely harder than the other. Licking my finger and lightly rubbing each side, one side would "pill" up very quickly and the other would not. I could not brush coat the soft side without creating a mess of paper fibers coming off the paper. The other, harder side, could be carefully brush coated. If the new paper is soft on both sides, it will be relative useless for pt/pd.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Vaughn:

Switch to coating the Weston Paper with a glass rod; it will
    take the chemistry just fine.

If you wish to reply to me, please do so at jzokowski@comcast.net, as
    I do not regularly monitor the APUG site.

Thank you,
    John M. Zokowski
    Butler-Dearden Paper

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks, John. I still have a short stack of the old -- waiting for time for use with a specific project.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.butlerdearden.com/Default.aspx

Try the address above and on the lower left you will find a box to get information on Weston’s Diploma Parchment – Plat Pal
    For Platinum-Palladium Photo Printing
    And Other Alt Processes.

I used the earlier iteration of this paper and it was very good. Then, the mill was closed. After a couple years the company has a new mill and this paper is the result. It should be good but I am a couple weeks away from testing in my own darkroom. Some I respect have said it is very good for pt/pd and that is why I have some to test.

John Zokowski of the company knows paper well and has been working with this for the past few years to come up with a good pt/pd/Alt process paper. Sounds very promising.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin